Tractor Supply solar charger

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
grandlake
Beginner
Beginner

Tractor Supply solar charger

Postby grandlake » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:47 am

Just bought a 10 mile charger and have about 1 mile of fence. No weeds, new 14 ga wire and 2 ground rods. Left charging for 3 days prior to turning on. I can hold the fence with only a tickle. Anybody have any prior experience with these chargers? Return? Other brand suggestions?
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Tractor Supply solar charger

Postby 1982vett » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Ground yourself better..... :lol: ....

Probably .1 to .15 joule output. Any leakage anywhere and your not going to get much spark. Course for me, just a little spark is to much. :shock: :shock: :shock: Got lucky today. Closing a barb wire gap that has a 1 1/4 pipe for a post. Heard the 1.2 joule snap but luckily it found a better ground than going through me.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

American Farmworks brand?

(TSC dropped Zareba around here last year and replaced them with AF brand, which is just a relabeled Zareba--all the same company that also makes Victor mouse traps)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

That's kind of like buying socks at Walmart......They just keep making everything cheaper. If you want good fence parts, shop at a fence parts store. lol We stock Parmak and Kencove chargers, but I like the looks of the ones that were discussed in a thread over the weekend.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 pm

grandlake wrote:Just bought a 10 mile charger and have about 1 mile of fence. No weeds, new 14 ga wire and 2 ground rods. Left charging for 3 days prior to turning on. I can hold the fence with only a tickle. Anybody have any prior experience with these chargers? Return? Other brand suggestions?

Return and buy a Parmak
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:36 pm

The bolts at TSC are junk. It would stand to reason, that the fencing supplies are inferior as well.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:That's kind of like buying socks at Walmart......They just keep making everything cheaper. If you want good fence parts, shop at a fence parts store. lol We stock Parmak and Kencove chargers, but I like the looks of the ones that were discussed in a thread over the weekend.

What would you use for insulators running a 14 guage hotwire on inside a net wire fence?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Some type of standoff insulator
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:15 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
grandlake wrote:Just bought a 10 mile charger and have about 1 mile of fence. No weeds, new 14 ga wire and 2 ground rods. Left charging for 3 days prior to turning on. I can hold the fence with only a tickle. Anybody have any prior experience with these chargers? Return? Other brand suggestions?

Return and buy a Parmak

I'm going to second this. Return and buy a paramark 12. Report back on how much it tickle's when you grab hold. :D
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 am

Their $150 unit has a 4 star rating. Others of theirs were viewed very low. Have a new neighbor that is fixing to get one. Fencing 2 acres, ground wire, grounded at every post (4' steel hot wire or T post with paint removed accompanying hot wire), 6' ground at unit. We'll see.

On insulators, they have yellow for line posts and black for corners. 14 AWG wire is what I found works best for me.

On your 1.2 Joule smack Vett, that's a pretty good whack. I would imagine that the solar units are light dosages considering the efficiency of solar panels. Course, my experience with hot wires is once they get smacked they stay away. Had another neighbor with about 50 acres fenced with one and it was only about a foot off the ground. Never saw that before but the grass was clipped nicely on both sides (by them) but the cows were on the inside.

I used to test mine with a stem of Johnson grass. Start out at about 10" and push forward till you felt the tingle, realizing that your boots were insulating you, or use my knife blade on a steel post and jump across to it.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:That's kind of like buying socks at Walmart......They just keep making everything cheaper. If you want good fence parts, shop at a fence parts store. lol We stock Parmak and Kencove chargers, but I like the looks of the ones that were discussed in a thread over the weekend.

What would you use for insulators running a 14 guage hotwire on inside a net wire fence?

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Offsets_detail_IWR6.php

These for wood posts. We have them for T posts, as well. And don't call Kencove....Call my wife! :D
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:35 am

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Return and buy a Parmak

I'm going to second this. Return and buy a paramark 12. Report back on how much it tickle's when you grab hold. :D

Yep, and don't timidly just brush the backside of your hand on the wire. Grab a holt of that sucker, like ya mean it. :lol: :lol:
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

grandlake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby grandlake » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 am

Walked the entire fence line again yesterday. No grounding and no branches on it. I will take your advice and try to find a parmak. Thanks.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:59 pm

greybeard wrote:American Farmworks brand?

(TSC dropped Zareba around here last year and replaced them with AF brand, which is just a relabeled Zareba--all the same company that also makes Victor mouse traps)
. Good! those were made to sell, not intended for use apparently....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Parmak is tried and true. I literally sell 100's a year.
But I'm getting lots of positive feed back and losing business to
http://www.fencemasteramerica.com

I've never owned one but they are taking my business everyday.
Wheat pasture guys in Oklahoma swear by them.

Edit to add
Before Woodstream bought American farm works they changed the name to Zareba because they sold fencers world wide and people in other countries didn't like America and wouldn't buy American Farm works chargers because of the name.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”