Reclaim Coastal Field

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Soggy Bottom
Beginner
Beginner

Reclaim Coastal Field

Postby Soggy Bottom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 am

The property I have my cows on has a 12 acre field that was a coastal hay field 10-20 years ago. It has not been grazed or managed in 10 years. You can see some coastal still in the field but it is mostly Johnson grass, native grasses, and weeds. I would like to over time re-establish the coastal stand in it. I plan to start by grazing it this spring and weed spraying the field heavy. Also plan on renovating it a couple times a years. Is there anything else I can do to help the coastal come back to where it once was? Thanks for the help.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Reclaim Coastal Field

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 am

Graze it now hard, disk it under in Feb, spray the weeds in the spring, fert the poop out of it. Try to keep the cows off as much as possible to let the runners spread. Cut hay off it or turn the cows in for very light grazing later in the year. The cows should take care of the JG.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am

Are you wanting this field for grazing, or hay? Brute is right about cows keeping the Johnsongrass down, but if you plan to cut hay off of it renovating it will make the Johnsongrass thicker. On the other hand, Johnsongrass makes good hay if it's cut before it gets too old. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Soggy Bottom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Soggy Bottom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for the info. For now I would like to graze it. Might look into getting my neighbor to cut it down the road if I can get it back in good shape.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Since you're going to graze it I'd spray for weeds and not worry about the Johnsongrass, and probably not the native grass either.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:The property I have my cows on has a 12 acre field that was a coastal hay field 10-20 years ago. It has not been grazed or managed in 10 years. You can see some coastal still in the field but it is mostly Johnson grass, native grasses, and weeds. I would like to over time re-establish the coastal stand in it. I plan to start by grazing it this spring and weed spraying the field heavy. Also plan on renovating it a couple times a years. Is there anything else I can do to help the coastal come back to where it once was? Thanks for the help.

If the coastal was there once, it still is there. You just don't see it under the competing grasses and weeds. Coastal does not go away. Weed spray it with 32 oz/acre glyphosate and you'll see what I'm talking about. Everything else will wither and the coastal will green up and start taking off.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Soggy Bottom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Soggy Bottom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:58 pm

The gly wont kill off the coastal as well? If I go this route should I wait until spring time?
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:The gly wont kill off the coastal as well? If I go this route should I wait until spring time?

A quart to the acre of glyphosate will cause temporary minor yellowing in coastal at the most. You'd need to put 3 or 4 quarts per acre just to get started on a plan for killing coastal. Yes, wait till spring. Don't know about yours, but my coastal is already frost killed for the most part.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 pm

It takes 5 qts/acre of glyphosate to kill coastal, so 1 qt/acre will just ding it and get the stuff you want to kill.
0 x

Soggy Bottom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Soggy Bottom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for the responses. My plan is now to spray gly early this spring when things start greening up. Than I'll fertilize and renovate it. Ill weed spray later in the summer as needed and graze it.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:The gly wont kill off the coastal as well? If I go this route should I wait until spring time?

Spray it while it's still dormant,don't wait till green up,,,first warm day...burning the field right before green up is good for it to,kills bugs deseases and weed seeds...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm

BC wrote:It takes 5 qts/acre of glyphosate to kill coastal, so 1 qt/acre will just ding it and get the stuff you want to kill.
ga.prime wrote:

A quart to the acre of glyphosate will cause temporary minor yellowing in coastal at the most. You'd need to put 3 or 4 quarts per acre just to get started on a plan for killing coastal. Yes, wait till spring. Don't know about yours, but my coastal is already frost killed for the most part.

Is this just for coastal? Or can it be used for other Bermudas as well.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Don't know about other bermudas, fence. Coastal's the only one I deal with. Maybe BC or somebody else knows.
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”