Feeding hay in a barn?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Feeding hay in a barn?

Postby coyotefur » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

I have the option to play musical chairs with round bales, equipment and some cows.

How much more beneficial would it be to feed hay in a barn vs in the field in a hay ring?

Thanks
Dustin
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding hay in a barn?

Postby M.Magis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:49 pm

How do you mean, square bales? Inside or out, its just a matter of minimizing waste.
0 x

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

No, round bales. Inside, the idea is minimize waste.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a feeding barn, and don't use it as such. The mess around the barn, ends up equal to or greater than the mess you are trying to avoid. Hay savings are minimal at best. You also have to spread what they do waste, plus the manure. I have no idea how many cows you are feeding, but with a herd of any size, it has proven to me to be a headache I'd rather avoid. Your mileage may vary.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 am

I personally have no experience feeding in a barn. But a neighbor does.

It looks to be pretty hard on the structure. Rubbing. Urine. Bumping with the tractor.

My thoughts are it would be a headache and potentially lessen the life of a barn..
1 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 am

:heart:
Bigfoot wrote:I have a feeding barn, and don't use it as such. The mess around the barn, ends up equal to or greater than the mess you are trying to avoid. Hay savings are minimal at best. You also have to spread what they do waste, plus the manure. I have no idea how many cows you are feeding, but with a herd of any size, it has proven to me to be a headache I'd rather avoid. Your mileage may vary.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm

I did it for years. So did most of the other people in the area. Mainly do to the environment I lived in. The feeder barn needs to be built in such a manner that you scrape out the manure with a tractor. Just a straight drive through. Corners or dead ends are not good. The bad news is you have to handle the manure. The good news is you can put the manure where you want it.
1 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 pm

It gives the fly population a great place to breed and thrive.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm

I did it once in the blizzard of 93...just for a change upper days...couldn't imagine doing it all winter... Plus the strong ammonia smell, would not be good for em, and will knock a maggot off a gut wagon...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

My barn and everyone I know who feeds in a barn have concrete floor. I scraped the manure out at least once a week. Most of the time twice a week. The manure went across a slab and was pushed into a pile And the barn was open to lots of air flow.
0 x

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a pass through barn. The cows will not be in there all the time. They can come and go as they please. I might try it for a while to see how it goes.

Dustin, KY
0 x

Grundy53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Grundy53 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Dave wrote:I did it for years. So did most of the other people in the area. Mainly do to the environment I lived in. The feeder barn needs to be built in such a manner that you scrape out the manure with a tractor. Just a straight drive through. Corners or dead ends are not good. The bad news is you have to handle the manure. The good news is you can put the manure where you want it.

When I start up I'll not be to far from you (SW Washington) I was thinking of building a barn just like you described. With the amount of rain we get I think feeding in a barn will help cut down on wasted feed. My grandpa was a dairy farmer when I was growing up and that's how he fed.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

If I were upnort I'd probably have a barn set up more for that situation....here 99 percent of the time, their better off outside..during that period of 93 I had Brahman...got them outa the wind..and blowing snow...
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I hate handling square bales,, but my neighbor fed hay in his barn he built a rack down one wall, and the hay was stacked behind that half wall..just threw the hay over into the rack..there was a trough under it to catch the loose and waste
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm

My feed barn was more like a long feed shed. The cows and their feed were under a roof and on concrete. The slab extended out about 20 feet past the roof. Me, the tractor and the stack of round bales were on the other side of the feeder in an area that was rock. Go off the slab very far on the cow's side with a tractor in the winter and it would be stuck until late spring.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”