Bought my first place

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Bought my first place

Postby Ky hills » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:25 am

Congratulations!
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am

Lazy M wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:There isn't a house just an older barn that's still in ok shape. Wife is already picking out house plans but that'll be a few years down the road. I'll still keep some cows on my lease and I'm always trying to find some more to lease. The main thing it needs is a lot of chainsaw work and new fencing.
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?

Many don't like it but I've always preferred the little motto barb wire. It cheap. lasts forever, and it stays sharp.

It's the same as Gaucho isn't it? Bekaert's brand that is made for export and in some cases, made under license in Peru and Hong Kong?
http://livestockequineequipment.hutchis ... Barbed.pdf

"Bekaert ZA is made from the same high tensile steel as our industry
leading Gaucho , Motto , and Cattleman high tensile barbed
wire.
Bekaert ZA like all other Bekaert high tensile barbed wire
has equal or greater strength than standard 12.5g barbed wire."
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am

greybeard wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Have you considered putting up High Tensile fencing? IMO, can't be beat. Will you have any electric available? 3 Strand HiT will keep them in.

He said he is used to using Gaucho. That IS a high tensile wire.
https://fencing.bekaert.com/en/bekaert- ... arbed-wire

But, that is barbed hi-tensile. I was asking about using smooth hi-t.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 am

Just signed papers today. Its officially ours. FSA was slow and needed everything from college transcripts to the normal paperwork, took l ok anger than expected but it's done. Some of the delay was my fault, working lots of hours and trying to run forms back and forth. Start cleaning burning and disking this weekend weather permitting
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am

Congrats on making it official! When it comes to fencing materials, you generally get what you pay for.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Good on you, glad it is through, sounds like you are going to be straight into enjoying it.

Ken
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm

First 10 mins bushogging corn stubble on my new place and the ta goes out of my 1086. Not the start I was looking for. Found a guy to fix it but he goes in the hospital for stints tomorrow, he thinks he'll be ready to work on it in a week or 2. Labor and parts he said around $2500.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:First 10 mins bushogging corn stubble on my new place and the ta goes out of my 1086. Not the start I was looking for. Found a guy to fix it but he goes in the hospital for stints tomorrow, he thinks he'll be ready to work on it in a week or 2. Labor and parts he said around $2500.

Things get real real fast don't they? Congrats on the purchase. Buying land is always good.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?

I started out 40 years ago with what everybody else used. After a few years of that I stumbled across Gaucho and liked it's ligher weight (high tensile 15 ½ GA. vs 12 for regular wire), the sharpness of the barbs, even after 30+ years, the non stretch characteristics, and the Zinc coating they use. I have Gaucho fence that is over 30 years old and still has the Zinc coating.

Get this, I had some wooden posts rotting away and decided to have the "mainstays" replaced with steel pipe. So I had a guy come in and do that for me. Get this: He took the Gaucho off and laid it to the side, replaced the main stay posts and put the Gaucho back up!!!!!!!!!
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Getting a little late in spring for my liking to plant pasture, I've always preferred fall anyways. So I think I might plant some soybeans and millet for hay. We have a diskbine and have a guy we rent a wrapper from. We did this once before made some real good feed. I'd love to put it up dry but realistically it'll prolly have to be wrapped.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”