Electric fence troubles. .

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Banjo
GURU
GURU

Re: Electric fence troubles. .

Postby Banjo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:06 am

What size wire are you running? I would check to see if you have the same size wire throughtout your system.....sometimes I have caught myself sticking a piece of polywire in a spot to do a quick fix and then forget its there.
2 amps indicate a short but not much of one...could just be weeds.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 am

Have come to not believe in connectors on the market or at least most of them. Swage repairs, watch out for dissimilar metals in connections, know that some insulators can "leak", get a decent charge, check the ground, ... Not a one answer question.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Put in another ground rod.. currently have 4, 40 foot total from the box..
It's got a good ground. Putting out 11.5 kv and 8 kv to the wire around the right side of the fence.
My connections are with gripples and wire wrapped around each other on both sides and have same charge on each side of the gripple, and my other connections are using a figure 8 tightened down with wrapping on both sides of the knot for good connection.
Also have galagher ratchet strainers which are galvanized. Wire is Aluminum and 14g. I understand diff metals, ect, but that won't be the case here with such new wire put up...
The wire was just ran 2 weeks ago. All weeds, sticks ect were trimmed, or cut. Fence has been walked 3 times.
The section that I believe I am loosing my juice in is the section that goes through the woods.
My thoughts are that some of my bends around the big trees. the wire is pretty close to the tree and I'm gonna go back and put in more insulators where the wire is remotely close.
I have 8 kv on the R side which is around 1/2 mile. To the gate handle around the L is approx 1/2 mile as well but only getting 4.2 kv. I believe my problem is in that section. When I get time this week I'm going to go back around it. I don't have anything in there at the moment so not in a big rush. I just can't believe it's the box when I'm getting half the KV to one side as I am the other and the same length of wire.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Do you have any cutoff switches that can be cut off and narrow down the area. I keep adding them as I fence more.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:48 pm

kenny actually instead of putting in cutoff switches, like a dummy, i put in fence gate handles to narrow with.. it works but fence can't be as tight as i like because of the give in them.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Hey, I didn't at first either. Each year I fix some of my earlier mistakes

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Walking the wire is a great way to find the problem, you can hear it snap a long ways off. At night you can see the arc where it's shorting out also.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Yeah have true.. Had an arc off of a screw on the section to the right when I first turned it on, but fixed it. I am really leaning towards my 1/2 to 2 inch gaps around some of those 30" trees I used as a slight grounder and hence why i'm not seeing or hearing any popping.. If its not there, then there is 1 other place where it crosses a small revene and comes within 3-4 inches of some very old stands of barb. Not popping there either.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:27 pm

I had an new underground wire where I went under a gate that had a break in it. Traced it to the gate then kneeled down and it got me. Seems impossible but even with the wire inside conduit it still shorted out and got me good.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, I've walked the hole fence X 3 now. My stafix says pulling 2 amps but then disappears mid line where there is no insulator just bare wire.. I've put up 3 to 5 insulators around some of the bigger trees that I attached to, i've undone the wire throughout different sections.. and all I can figure is the current box I have will not put out enough to maintain my whole fence above 4 kv. At the box I have 11.5 kv, at a short section of wire right out of the box it puts out 7 kv. Hook up to 1/2 mile and drops to 6 kv, hook up another 1/2 mile drops to 5 kv, and then the final half and I get 3.8-4.0 kv. I think the length of the run just drains the ability of this zeebra 10 mile 0.15j box. I'm gonna need hotter than 4 more than likely due to the leased fence that's behind the hot wire is not great. I'd like to see 6-8 at least. Suggestions on which box? Has to be a solar box..

Gallagher
Stafix
Kencove

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 pm

just drains the ability of this zeebra 10 mile 0.15j box

.15J isn't much.
Each energized strand has be part of the total length of the fence, plus the return trip of the pulse back to the charger.
Don't take much to drop the voltage down on a .15j energizer.

Problem with solar is the cost on the higher J energizers. You can be in the $1000 range real quick.
This 2.5j Gallagher says it's rated for 50 miles or 200 acres of clean fence, costs over $700 and doesn't include the 20v battery.
https://am.gallagher.com/us/product/665 ... att-panel-
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 am

Parmak solar pak 12. 244$ on eBay. I have several, and parmaks repair service is great.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am

Another vote for ParMak.You have plenty of grounds.How is the ground moisture? If it's dry where you are,simply soaking the ground around each rod will help.You might also consider running a second wire tied into the grounding rods to make sure a good arc is made when they touch the hot wire.
I believe you said you were using aluminum wire.Do you have any places where it joins galvanized wire that could corrode?
Also,if any use polywire,I learned the lighter 3 and 3 6 strand only carries full current for about 200 yds or so then you get a drop in voltage.
Throwing a lot of things out which may not apply but hope something helps.
Not all my fences are perfect.I'm still working and learning.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.