red cedar tree removal

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

red cedar tree removal

Postby BRYANT » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Would it make a difference if the sap is up or down on how long it takes a cedar stump to rot away? Other wise will the time of year that you cut/shear them make any difference on how long it takes for the snag to rot?
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 pm

All the trees I remove I grind the stumps and or bull doze them so im not of any help to you there.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm probably wrong, but I'd say it makes little difference.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Take your 3pt hitch post hole auger and drill a hole in the stump. Then you can either let the rain and weather rot it, or fill it full of tannerite or your choice of powder and end it quick!
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

BRYANT wrote:Would it make a difference if the sap is up or down on how long it takes a cedar stump to rot away? Other wise will the time of year that you cut/shear them make any difference on how long it takes for the snag to rot?

Don't think so. Will take about as long to rot as a fence post lasts so 7 to 30 years. Want them gone then push or pull up or let roots rot a few years and tip stump out. Probably our #1 weed.
1 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Cedar slow to rot. About like black cherry.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Just emailed a forester to see what he says
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm

They'll rot quicker then you think with all the roots in the ground pulling moisture. Most of the cedars growing in pastures have a lot of white colored wood which roots faster then the red colored wood.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 pm

I ask because I have some on the same place that were cut at different times and it seems to take longer for some. I have one up by a rent house that was sawed about 7 years ago 8'' above the ground and its still solid. I have some more that was cut with a shear back in April that are rotten enough that they come out easy. I have contacted the Noble foundation they are going to have some one call me in a few days that they said should know more about Cedar removal than the man I talked to. My thinking is if sap is down the root system will be more like what a pine knot would be and take a long time to rot ???? May not matter at all but its something to think on

Silver
as for the drill and tannerite I am talking SEVERAL HUNDRED of them
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am

We had a cedar stump that was cut at least 15 years ago because it was here when we bought the farm. It was about 18 inches in diameter. Every year I would smack it with the tractor bucket and it wouldn't budge. This year I brush hogged past it and got close enough that I brushed against it and it popped out of the ground all shattered.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 am

Maybe shearing the cedars shattered the growth rings and let moisture in to rot the stump?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Maybe shearing the cedars shattered the growth rings and let moisture in to rot the stump?

I even wondered if shear vs. sawing may have had something to do with it.
I am fixing to shear a few hundred here in the next couple months, so I have been kind of thinking on the matter for the last few days.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:35 am

dun; is your cedars the same as these little red cedars in Okla. because very few of our will get to 18''. They will grow a lot larger if you trim the branches up from the bottom for several feet. I talked to a saw mill and was told there is a market for them if they are large enough. This place I am fixing to shear is not even fenced so about all I do with it is hunt on it. I even thought about trimming up a bunch of the bigger one and see if I could make them marketable. I know it would take time before they would be big enough and I am planning to fence it, even bought the pipe for the corners a few days back. Would be nice if the was a way to make money off them.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 am

BRYANT wrote:dun; is your cedars the same as these little red cedars in Okla. because very few of our will get to 18''. They will grow a lot larger if you trim the branches up from the bottom for several feet. I talked to a saw mill and was told there is a market for them if they are large enough. This place I am fixing to shear is not even fenced so about all I do with it is hunt on it. I even thought about trimming up a bunch of the bigger one and see if I could make them marketable. I know it would take time before they would be big enough and I am planning to fence it, even bought the pipe for the corners a few days back. Would be nice if the was a way to make money off them.

Cedar chopping is a hard way to make a little money....bought like picking up aluminium cans.
We always try to push the stumps out. On the ones that won't budge we push the brush around em and burn em. I've been discing a field and their coming right out. I cut em flush to the ground...30 years ago.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 am

callmefence wrote:
BRYANT wrote:dun; is your cedars the same as these little red cedars in Okla. because very few of our will get to 18''. They will grow a lot larger if you trim the branches up from the bottom for several feet. I talked to a saw mill and was told there is a market for them if they are large enough. This place I am fixing to shear is not even fenced so about all I do with it is hunt on it. I even thought about trimming up a bunch of the bigger one and see if I could make them marketable. I know it would take time before they would be big enough and I am planning to fence it, even bought the pipe for the corners a few days back. Would be nice if the was a way to make money off them.

Cedar chopping is a hard way to make a little money....bought like picking up aluminium cans.
We always try to push the stumps out. On the ones that won't budge we push the brush around em and burn em. I've been discing a field and their coming right out. I cut em flush to the ground...30 years ago.

I sure don't want to hire out shearing cedars I am only doing it on my own place. If they are not real big I just start to shear them , then I just spin the skidloader and it rips them out roots and all, everything else is cut smooth or slightly below ground level. BUT if I am going to remove them and could make a few dollars off them that would be nice.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”