red cedar tree removal

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4302
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby callmefence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:19 am

BRYANT wrote:
callmefence wrote:
BRYANT wrote:dun; is your cedars the same as these little red cedars in Okla. because very few of our will get to 18''. They will grow a lot larger if you trim the branches up from the bottom for several feet. I talked to a saw mill and was told there is a market for them if they are large enough. This place I am fixing to shear is not even fenced so about all I do with it is hunt on it. I even thought about trimming up a bunch of the bigger one and see if I could make them marketable. I know it would take time before they would be big enough and I am planning to fence it, even bought the pipe for the corners a few days back. Would be nice if the was a way to make money off them.


Cedar chopping is a hard way to make a little money....bought like picking up aluminium cans.
We always try to push the stumps out. On the ones that won't budge we push the brush around em and burn em. I've been discing a field and their coming right out. I cut em flush to the ground...30 years ago.

I sure don't want to hire out shearing cedars I am only doing it on my own place. If they are not real big I just start to shear them , then I just spin the skidloader and it rips them out roots and all, everything else is cut smooth or slightly below ground level. BUT if I am going to remove them and could make a few dollars off them that would be nice.


Sure..
Around here some of the old growth post say 12' with a 10" top and really straight may bring 15.00
Imo the easiest money is when the mill is taking stays. Last time it got slow enough to chop cedar. Me and two guys cut close to 1000 stays in a day.
They paid .85 for yard grade and .60 for wire grade.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 am

From a MO state forester
" Since cedar is rot resistant it is slow. The sapwood rots quicker but the heartwood is rot resistant. That is why it is used for fence posts. Best to just cut it as low as possible so you can mow over it."
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 am

BRYANT wrote:dun; is your cedars the same as these little red cedars in Okla. because very few of our will get to 18''. They will grow a lot larger if you trim the branches up from the bottom for several feet. I talked to a saw mill and was told there is a market for them if they are large enough. This place I am fixing to shear is not even fenced so about all I do with it is hunt on it. I even thought about trimming up a bunch of the bigger one and see if I could make them marketable. I know it would take time before they would be big enough and I am planning to fence it, even bought the pipe for the corners a few days back. Would be nice if the was a way to make money off them.

We have a couple of places on this farm that were originally cut over a 100 years ago and have been abandoned since then. Terrain is just to rough to get into and use, but the deer love it. There are a couple of trees that are over 2 foot in diameter but those split into multiple trunks a couple of feet above the ground. For posts here to sell the have to be a minimum of 4 inches at the small end and 8 foot long. Only one place around that buys them so I just cut them and use them myself
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 am

BRYANT wrote:Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.

When I cleared another farm I used a shear and cut them just below ground level. The biggest pain was pushing them to a pile to burn. The grass in the area I cut is really pretty nice but it's almost impossible to get to with a truck because of the oak scrub that came up in place of the cedars.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4302
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby callmefence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am

On a related note.
The female trees. That produce Berry's have considerably more heartwood. And make better Post
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

dun wrote:
BRYANT wrote:Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.

When I cleared another farm I used a shear and cut them just below ground level. The biggest pain was pushing them to a pile to burn. The grass in the area I cut is really pretty nice but it's almost impossible to get to with a truck because of the oak scrub that came up in place of the cedars.

my plan is to get my places where I can control burn them
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby dun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:06 pm

BRYANT wrote:
dun wrote:
BRYANT wrote:Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.

When I cleared another farm I used a shear and cut them just below ground level. The biggest pain was pushing them to a pile to burn. The grass in the area I cut is really pretty nice but it's almost impossible to get to with a truck because of the oak scrub that came up in place of the cedars.

my plan is to get my places where I can control burn them

That was my plan too. But other things got in the way. I didn;t even get over to that farm for a year before we sold it
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1604
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 pm

they push out so easily I would never cut them.
0 x

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby BRYANT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 am

ddd75 wrote:they push out so easily I would never cut them.

like anything depends on the size, my dozer was a JD 650G and I have seen some that it was all it wanted to push them out and different soils make a difference on how they push also. The way the roots are they will do a lot of ground damage pushing them with a dozer.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4302
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby callmefence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:00 am

BRYANT wrote:
ddd75 wrote:they push out so easily I would never cut them.

like anything depends on the size, my dozer was a JD 650G and I have seen some that it was all it wanted to push them out and different soils make a difference on how they push also. The way the roots are they will do a lot of ground damage pushing them with a dozer.


They don't all push so easy. Some will come right out the next won't. In rocky ground they usually push out pretty good. In tight clay not so much. They'll root down deeper than you think.
Also if they have a good post in em they push pretty good. The big trees that don't have a post you can forget it.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 am

Red Cedar: a water sucking machine.
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby dun » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 am

Ebenezer wrote:Red Cedar: a water sucking machine.

Aint that the truth! And even worse are the berrys that cause the fence rows to grow up with them from the birds s(h)itting on the fence.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

callmefence wrote:
BRYANT wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Cedar chopping is a hard way to make a little money....bought like picking up aluminium cans.
We always try to push the stumps out. On the ones that won't budge we push the brush around em and burn em. I've been discing a field and their coming right out. I cut em flush to the ground...30 years ago.

I sure don't want to hire out shearing cedars I am only doing it on my own place. If they are not real big I just start to shear them , then I just spin the skidloader and it rips them out roots and all, everything else is cut smooth or slightly below ground level. BUT if I am going to remove them and could make a few dollars off them that would be nice.


Sure..
Around here some of the old growth post say 12' with a 10" top and really straight may bring 15.00
Imo the easiest money is when the mill is taking stays. Last time it got slow enough to chop cedar. Me and two guys cut close to 1000 stays in a day.
They paid .85 for yard grade and .60 for wire grade.


Be careful doing that Fence. Make sure they know it's just a hobby or you'll get the reputation like most all the other cedar cutters....low life, stealing, lieing, sobs. :lol2: :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Big T
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: TN

Re: red cedar tree removal

Postby Big T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:49 pm

I cut any good logs I could and had a portable Saw Mill come to me. If you have a skid steer you should check into a mulching head for the smaller trees. It will grind the stumps flush and no brush to deal with
0 x
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests