Pasture Renovation Response ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Pasture Renovation Response ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am

More interest here in beef recently due to the continued low prices for both grain and milk. Land prices are holding even though ag income is down - - so increasing pasture productivity/acre is a typical response.

Several of our winter meetings are covering "renovation." There is a very wide range of approaches:
1) cutting or rolling popple & alder brush
2) inter seeding legumes
3) inter seeding annuals
4) conventional "make it black" renovation
5) combination of the above

A key prep item is addressing fertility, and self seeding, to allow long stand life. Lime and K and red clover seems to being a winning combination. This should spread per acre overheads and lengthen the grazing season. Have you ever approached this by back calculated stocking rate target(s) to hit your profit goal(s)?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Pasture Renovation Response ?

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 am

No. Putting out fertilizer on grazing pasture and buying cattle to go a long with it is a guaranteed way to bring on a drought.

My general consensus is every time you try to get smart or cute with cattle either mother nature or the market swats you back in your place. The goal is to produce the most beef with as little money as possible and the least amount of risk. If you happen to make a buck you invest it in some thing that either minimizes risk and/ or increases efficiency. The longer you are in the game the better the chance the stars will align for you.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Brute 23 wrote:My general consensus is every time you try to get smart or cute with cattle either mother nature or the market swats you back in your place. The goal is to produce the most beef with as little money as possible and the least amount of risk. If you happen to make a buck you invest it in some thing that either minimizes risk and/ or increases efficiency. The longer you are in the game the better the chance the stars will align for you.

No one has ever called me cute before... ;-)

Your point about risk is a very good one. The few people that try to project often come up with a point estimate and do not address risks. I think you can make investments that reduce risk (like cross fencing & clover seed), and you can make investments that increase risk (lots on N and leveraged stockers). Been there.

I buy good insurance during the row crop portion of my rotation, targeting to break even if there is a total crop failure. So it is all upside if you like to work.
1 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 pm

i decided to turn the entire new farm from crops to pasture and run cattle / hay on all of it.

i'll be putting down byron seeds fescue / OG / red and white clovers / bluegrass and a little alfalfa. The great thing about these crop fields are they are DEAD.. so the only thing that comes up after a light discing is what you plant. It needs a lot of N to get going. I'll run soil tests ASAP. Plan on hitting it with around 150 lb / ac of N.

I have to fix some ditches over there before planting and clean up a little here and there. Otherwise its ready.

home farm will be just about 150 / lb ac N and some p20 and k20 as well. I've unrolled over 200 bales on the fields since its been so cold so that should really help as well.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”