Sprigging

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Sprigging

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I've heard that if you run a very light disc over the coastal it would cause it to shoot lots more runners. Any truth to that?
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Yes very true. Need to do it when its dormant, like right now. You can actually disc it fairly deep right before green up and it will do great with a bit of rain.
1 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 am

Also check your potassium levels. All the improved bermuda's use potassium to develop strong root systems. It will help thicken up as stand.
0 x

Old Hat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Old Hat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I have done my own with good success but it’s lots of work. Spray to kill the existing weeds etc., disk the heck out of it, drag it nice and smooth. I had a neighbor who gave me Jiggs and Tifton tops when he cut his field. I drove thru the field and spread those tops by hand really thick then adjusted my disk blades straight and ran thru it. Then packed it with a roller.It helps to keep the sprigs/tops wet as you’re planting. So far I’ve done about 12 acres with good results. Oh and pray for rain just as you finish rolling it!!!
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Old Hat wrote:I have done my own with good success but it’s lots of work. Spray to kill the existing weeds etc., disk the heck out of it, drag it nice and smooth. I had a neighbor who gave me Jiggs and Tifton tops when he cut his field. I drove thru the field and spread those tops by hand really thick then adjusted my disk blades straight and ran thru it. Then packed it with a roller.It helps to keep the sprigs/tops wet as you’re planting. So far I’ve done about 12 acres with good results. Oh and pray for rain just as you finish rolling it!!!

This is how I planted 20 acres of coastal. I want to say I paid 1200 for a 20 yard dump trailer full of sprigs.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”