Another hay unrolling thread

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Another hay unrolling thread

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I have used shelled corn or rather rolled corn in the past when hay was short.As I recall,you used 2lb of corn to 3lbs of hay up to 50 percent of the ration.If that's right,it would mean 14 lbs.of hay and 9.3 lbs. of shelled corn.Depending on availability and prices,it might be cheaper.If you have to build feeders,though,they can get expensive.
:2cents:
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I only see two choices.
Sell enough so you have enough hay.
Or sell enough to buy enough hay.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm

callmefence wrote:I only see two choices.
Sell enough so you have enough hay.
Or sell enough to buy enough hay.

This.
Either option helps him with his downsizing conundrum in the other thread.
Wish I was closer Bigfoot, I could spare about 60 bales this year.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm

JW IN VA wrote:I have used shelled corn or rather rolled corn in the past when hay was short.As I recall,you used 2lb of corn to 3lbs of hay up to 50 percent of the ration.If that's right,it would mean 14 lbs.of hay and 9.3 lbs. of shelled corn.Depending on availability and prices,it might be cheaper.If you have to build feeders,though,they can get expensive.

I bought 30 4 x5 rolls, that I haven't even seen this afternoon, for $50.. Depending on what they weigh, corn is cheaper.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:I have used shelled corn or rather rolled corn in the past when hay was short.As I recall,you used 2lb of corn to 3lbs of hay up to 50 percent of the ration.If that's right,it would mean 14 lbs.of hay and 9.3 lbs. of shelled corn.Depending on availability and prices,it might be cheaper.If you have to build feeders,though,they can get expensive.

I bought 30 4 x5 rolls, that I haven't even seen this afternoon, for $50.. Depending on what they weigh, corn is cheaper.

TDN on corn is in the high 80's, good hay is in the 50's. Feeding to much corn to fast isn't good either.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Bigfoot wrote:

That's awfully high. you can get 4x5's here for 25 to 30
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Right or wrong, I'm unrolling one roll per day to a field of 23 head, and 1 every other day to 10, and supplementing them with around 3 pounds per day of a feed ration of cracked corn, corn gluten, soy hulls, and ddg. They seem to be holding their condition well. On a side note, I just push the hay over the hill and let gravity unroll it, If I had more level ground I could use an unroller and measure off about half of a roll more, as they do seem to finish that off before the next feeding.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 am

I know corn can do a great job "replacing" hay. Just don't know the numbers.
see if this helps:
http://igrow.org/livestock/beef/replaci ... cow-diets/
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 am

Ky hills wrote:Right or wrong, I'm unrolling one roll per day to a field of 23 head, and 1 every other day to 10, and supplementing them with around 3 pounds per day of a feed ration of cracked corn, corn gluten, soy hulls, and ddg. They seem to be holding their condition well. On a side note, I just push the hay over the hill and let gravity unroll it, If I had more level ground I could use an unroller and measure off about half of a roll more, as they do seem to finish that off before the next feeding.

23 head.. not sure the size.. full size dry cows would require about 700 lbs of hay a day.

depending on hay quality, you may not need the grain.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I know corn can do a great job "replacing" hay. Just don't know the numbers.
see if this helps:

According to that, you can go down to 12 pounds of hay, by feeding 12 pounds of ddg/corn. Good info.
1 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 am

Bigfoot wrote:

I just sold 30 rolls of 4 x 5 Saturday for $50, but that was delivered.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am

I would try two unrolled rolls a day, one morning and one evening and see how it goes. I bet you won't notice much difference. When I unroll mine in the morning, the cows eat their fill of the easy stuff for about 1 1/2 hours then go milling around grazing a little, lick on the tub some and then take a nap. After that they pick around and clean up the balance. My hay is from under a shed so probably less than 5% waste. Poundage wise, I under feed mine, but the tubs seem to keep them in good shape.

With hay in rings, some cows never move and get more than their share while others get very little and the calves even less. Unrolled, everyone gets their share at the same time, the calves don't get stepped on and the pasture benefits. No cleanup at the end of the year and no piles of wet moldy hay for flys to breed.

The key seems to be to only unroll what they will eat in the first couple hours. After that it gets nasty.
1 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 am

BF,
I'm jumping in here without having read any of the prior responses.

Like you, I'd not liked unrolling... but, in the past, I just didn't have enough cows to eat it all, when fed, and they wasted A LOT. Current herd size... split into Fall/Spring calvers... they'll eat it a full roll in a couple of hours... and it supplies the 25-27#/hd that we've calculated (using a ration calculator) that they need... with almost no waste - and certainly a whole lot less waste than when we're feeding in rings on the concrete pad. Anymore, I only feed on the pad if it's muddy (like yesterday!)... much 'faster' to unroll, and, in addition to what I perceive as less wastage, I get the benefit of adding seed(Johnsongrass, dallisgrass, cheat) to bare spots in these sacrifice paddocks where we feed.

25-27# hay and 5-6# DDG should pretty well provide everything they need... they may not be 'happy' about being fed everything all at one time, but they'll get over it. When we first started limit feeding, we got some protestation, but they eventually settle into the routine.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I know corn can do a great job "replacing" hay. Just don't know the numbers.
see if this helps:

It works from a cost standpoint in this example but corn never truly replaces hay. It's simply a low protein, high energy supplement to hay. Personally if I were trying to stretch hay I'd use a by-product like soyhulls. Still roughage, highly digestible and almost as much energy as corn.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

Lucky_P wrote:BF,
I'm jumping in here without having read any of the prior responses.

Like you, I'd not liked unrolling... but, in the past, I just didn't have enough cows to eat it all, when fed, and they wasted A LOT. Current herd size... split into Fall/Spring calvers... they'll eat it a full roll in a couple of hours... and it supplies the 25-27#/hd that we've calculated (using a ration calculator) that they need... with almost no waste - and certainly a whole lot less waste than when we're feeding in rings on the concrete pad. Anymore, I only feed on the pad if it's muddy (like yesterday!)... much 'faster' to unroll, and, in addition to what I perceive as less wastage, I get the benefit of adding seed(Johnsongrass, dallisgrass, cheat) to bare spots in these sacrifice paddocks where we feed.

25-27# hay and 5-6# DDG should pretty well provide everything they need... they may not be 'happy' about being fed everything all at one time, but they'll get over it. When we first started limit feeding, we got some protestation, but they eventually settle into the routine.

Thanks.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”