GRASS FED BEEF DEFINITION

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: GRASS FED BEEF DEFINITION

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
Not arguing with you but its more complex than that. True, the faster grass grows the more CO2 is absorbed and the more oxygen released to the atmosphere and at times methane is consumed but research has shown that plants create a substantial amount of methane on their own. Far more than anyone ever thought. This is green growing plants and not dead plants submerged in swamps. So all the fear mongering about cows being bad for the planet is losing ground. Maybe its not the cows but the grass that is polluting the atmosphere with methane. Or maybe the giant sequoias in California.

grass creates methane? anything to back this up, I find it hard to believe.

Yeah, it kindof throws a big kink into Al Gore's claims doesn't it?

Here is a link assuming Scientific American hasn't been hacked by the Russians. More links to other sources if you Google it. I'm surprised the media wasn't all over this but like I said a long time ago this whole thing is nothing more than justification for another tax.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4604332.stm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... te-change/

interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research. no doubt a healthy soil contains massive amounts of methane. you can't have a healthy soil without grass.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 pm

ddd75 wrote:interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research. no doubt a healthy soil contains massive amounts of methane. you can't have a healthy soil without grass.

I think nature is a very resilient thing with all sorts of checks and balances of which we will never fully understand.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:10 am

Jogeephus wrote:
I think nature is a very resilient thing with all sorts of checks and balances of which we will never fully understand.

Now THAT, really is interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research........., or at least (just) enough to prove that hypothesis wrong..
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:This is the standard for American Grassfed Beef:
FO post-harvest crop residue

Wonder what that is..

It can mean anything you want when you make the rules. Just another farce to take advantage of the public, and get a little more for actually doing less. Fact is some folks will say or do anything for a dollar.

Now Now, Grit..'shhh'..you'll upset the lads. A gullible public is always the first requirement for any marketing scheme.

On the other hand, I'll just leave this right here......

True Grit Farms wrote: I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.

8) ;-)
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote:Wonder what that is..

It can mean anything you want when you make the rules. Just another farce to take advantage of the public, and get a little more for actually doing less. Fact is some folks will say or do anything for a dollar.

Now Now, Grit..'shhh'..you'll upset the lads. A gullible public is always the first requirement for any marketing scheme.

On the other hand, I'll just leave this right here......

True Grit Farms wrote: I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.

8) ;-)

I should of left the CAB part out, but the butchers I deal with all their prime meat is CAB. Any bovine breed with the white flakes running through the grains of meat are good I'm sure. I've only personally ate CAB, and Wagau in prime. My wife was trying to push the lean beef, healthy crap on me awhile back. I told her it's to late in life for me to worry about such trivial things, super size mine please.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Definition depends.
There were a lot of people jumping on this a couple years ago. If your place was paid for than production cash flowed. Otherwise you had problems. Processors did OK - - some focused on finished cuts, and some just ground unfinished cattle for grass fed burger. Futurists went on and one about converting land to environmentally friendly finishing pastures.
Then the lobbyists got busy, standards were not established, and COOL was rejected. Big corporations started their own brands based on importing beef from South America... :( I understand that only a small portion of our "grass fed" beef is currently produced in the US.
So the emerging definition of grass fed is cattle grazing logged off rain forest that do not have hoof and mouth disease. :nod: How long do you think the price premium for this will last?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:28 pm

What does CAB mean?
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Marksbury farm.....here in central, ky. raise grassfed beef and have their own processing plant. Apparently, very successful with it, they have been at it several years.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Certified Angus Beef
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks, I shoulda known that.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 pm

The past several years I've had anywhere from 15 cows down to a few on my place and I've been making a bunch of hay. Still trying to decide on wether selling beef or small bales of hay is most profitable. I will always have a couple feeders here and I will never feed grain. I have been around cattle my entire life and I am far from a tree hugger. I can honestly say that the best beef to eat is not on a high grain diet, but it MUST be on good grass. There are too many trying to market "Grass Fed" that are basically underfeeding their cows on poor grass and producing a terrible product.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 am

I asked this question on a different thread, and still haven't received an answer.
How do you cook a T-Bone steak?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I asked this question on a different thread, and still haven't received an answer.
How do you cook a T-Bone steak?

There's more than one way to cook a steak. The best way that I've found is over the coals of a fire. I personally use oak, there's no comparison between cooking steaks over wood coals compared to charcoal or a gas grill. IMO
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Sorry Grit - I should have been clearer. I meant grass fed beef T-Bone. Do you do anything different?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Grass fed cooks the same as corn fed if you have a finished 2 frame animals. ;-)
Otherwise, you need to be a little more careful to avoid drying it out.
A thicker steak, a meat thermometer, and a little olive oil rub helps.
1 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”