Spraying locust

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Spraying locust

Postby bird dog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 pm

snoopdog wrote:Sprayed yesterday till I froze out , according to a forestry site which Icant recall that said now was the time . I wouldn't expect to see any results until leaf out , but I would like to know if it's going to work before buying anymore spray and wasting my time . I think if I have to fight the greenbriars to girdle, I may as well use another method . There aren't that many bigger than your wrist , but a bunch of smaller ones and yes they are in groups . Thanks again everyone .

If you are doing everything correctly, than I guarantee it will work and you are not wasting your time. Basal bark spray done correctly is as close to to 100% kill that you will get. The trick is to get all the small trunks and get the spray all the way around them. You won't get 100% kill but what doesn't die, will with a second spraying. If you see some leaves that look healthy, hit them with some foliar spray.
By April, you will know everything you missed.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Spraying locust

Postby Texasmark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:41 am

snoopdog wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Locally it's referred to as Black Locust with thorns of 2-3" on mature trees. I have a little and cut the trees and their root shoots down. Across from me is a large pasture and a couple of years ago a helicopter doing airborne spraying doused the field pretty good. Don't know the chemical but being a commercial sprayer one would think that they knew what would work and what wouldn't.

Some of the small (Dime coin size or smaller) trees died. Others look dead but in scraping the bark there is green. The large trees, (5") or so showed damage on the half that was toward the oncoming spray and no damage on the lee side (spraying done in the late summer). My take on the operation was that it was a financial failure, not achieving the desired effect, but the trees were everywhere.

What's funny is that other trees, like Bois-De-Arc in particular, weren't affected in the slightest. So maybe that's a cue as to what was used.

honey and black are 2 different locusts. honey locust haver thorns around 6" long all the way around the tree like every 2". The black locust I have here have almost 0 thorns.. where I have lived before they did have thorns on the younger branches, but those little thing are nothing like a honey locust.. i heard they used to use honey locust thorns as nails.

i've had very good luck with locust groves pushing them all out with a dozer and then after a a couple mowings they don't come back.
Same here , the black locust is what we cut for post in previous years, The honey locust is kin to satan.

Well I guess the local name for the tree is in fact Black. On using Locust thorns for nails, I see some merit in that for pioneers trying to make do with nothing.
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”