Grazing standing corn

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Grazing standing corn

Postby kickinbull » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm

YouTube. How I intergraded corn grazing into my forage program. Tommy Yankey.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 am

BFE wrote:Who said anything about putting them on 200 bushel corn? Apparently, this method has been used, and quite successfully. I don't think it's foolish to try a four acre experiment. Also, this is not feeding it from bins, as was mentioned earlier. I do think it's foolish to make such presumptions. Maybe you can get top quality hay a lot cheaper than I can is the only thing I can figure.

I did but I wasn't calling you foolish. Here again is what I said and all I was trying to do was give you food for thought and I do apologize if I offended you by offering advice contrary to what you wanted to hear but like I said, it won't work for me and it would be foolish for ME to do it because I have a lot of cheaper options to overwinter cattle. Good luck with it.

I agree and it would be foolish to put cows on it(it being 500 bushel land) just as it would be foolish for me to put them on 200 bushel land. Either way though, what do you figure the cost of grazing would be with an input of $350/acre? How many days of grazing would it take to break even? These are just things that I think are worth considering but if none of this is important growing corn to feed cattle will surely make for some good looking fat cattle I'd think.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:12 am

Yes.
Green corn works really well for popping stockers in August. :nod:
SRbeef used standing corn to finish steers during the winter.
Standing corn has a lot of energy and is usually a bad idea for beef cows :!: Some address this by combining most of it, and leaving standing corn strips every so often. Others just hope they don't lose cows to acidosis.
I called a Canadian who was wintering cows on standing corn and snow. Turned out that low input corn in the artic vortex only yielded 60 to 70 bushels per acre...
Plan to move cattle every day initially to minimize deads. You will need high voltage wire to strip graze, and deer can still be a reoccurring winter problem.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 am

Jogeephus wrote:
BFE wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
I think that was SRBeef or something on those lines. Search for his posts on this. Sounded expensive and time consuming to me but he had some fat cattle.

I'm checking them every day anyway, moving 100 yards of hot wire can't take that long. I can put out an acre of corn for $350 ballpark, and I'll have less in this than that (less N, just enough chemical to give the corn a running start). Can't be any more than good hay, and surely the cows and calves would do better on this program.

Moving wire is not hard at all but it does take time. I figure corn will sell for at least $670/acre and nearly twice that if you market it yourself. Guy down the road made 500 bushels/acre this year so he made a lot more money than this but I guess it depends on how much you expect to make per acre on your cows and how much your time is worth. When I pencil it out it wouldn't be worth it to me. I think I'd rather grow the corn, harvest it, turn the cattle out on the stubble, sell half my corn to hunters and keep the other half to supplement the cattle if I didn't have a source for good hay.

You guys just blow me away. Last time I was in a yield conversation on corn, the braggart of the group was boasting 40 BPA....................... Good luck to you. Glad you can make it.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 am

Jogeephus wrote:
BFE wrote:Who said anything about putting them on 200 bushel corn? Apparently, this method has been used, and quite successfully. I don't think it's foolish to try a four acre experiment. Also, this is not feeding it from bins, as was mentioned earlier. I do think it's foolish to make such presumptions. Maybe you can get top quality hay a lot cheaper than I can is the only thing I can figure.

I did but I wasn't calling you foolish. Here again is what I said and all I was trying to do was give you food for thought and I do apologize if I offended you by offering advice contrary to what you wanted to hear but like I said, it won't work for me and it would be foolish for ME to do it because I have a lot of cheaper options to overwinter cattle. Good luck with it.

I agree and it would be foolish to put cows on it(it being 500 bushel land) just as it would be foolish for me to put them on 200 bushel land. Either way though, what do you figure the cost of grazing would be with an input of $350/acre? How many days of grazing would it take to break even? These are just things that I think are worth considering but if none of this is important growing corn to feed cattle will surely make for some good looking fat cattle I'd think.

Sorry I misunderstood you, and I should have been more specific myself. What I plan to do with this will be nowhere near $350 an acre. I'll use far less fertilizer, and possibly use bin run corn to have practically nothing in seed cost. I'll be shooting for more fodder and less grain.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Yes.
Green corn works really well for popping stockers in August. :nod:
SRbeef used standing corn to finish steers during the winter.
Standing corn has a lot of energy and is usually a bad idea for beef cows :!: Some address this by combining most of it, and leaving standing corn strips every so often. Others just hope they don't lose cows to acidosis.
I called a Canadian who was wintering cows on standing corn and snow. Turned out that low input corn in the artic vortex only yielded 60 to 70 bushels per acre...
Plan to move cattle every day initially to minimize deads. You will need high voltage wire to strip graze, and deer can still be a reoccurring winter problem.

Thank you. Very practical advice.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 am

kickinbull wrote:YouTube. How I intergraded corn grazing into my forage program. Tommy Yankey.

I'll check it out, thank you.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am

BFE wrote:Sorry I misunderstood you, and I should have been more specific myself. What I plan to do with this will be nowhere near $350 an acre. I'll use far less fertilizer, and possibly use bin run corn to have practically nothing in seed cost. I'll be shooting for more fodder and less grain.

My bad, I was basing my replies on the information you posted. What you are now saying is sounding more realistic. With brood cows you really have to watch the cost of forage establishment or it will eat your lunch.

BFE wrote: I can put out an acre of corn for $350 ballpark, and I'll have less in this than that (less N, just enough chemical to give the corn a running start). Can't be any more than good hay, and surely the cows and calves would do better on this program.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

A few grazing dairies use corn here. They plant bin run with a grain drill at about the "2 bu" setting. Corn is expected to canopy fast enough that no herbicide is used. They stagger plantings during the summer to fill in behind the cool season grass flush. May include a little oats and brassica in seed box.

Since there is no grain produced before it is grazed, I think it would fit with grass fed. Also sounds like a good plan for stockers. Not so sure about cows. I would not expect acidosis, but you will see a slump taking them off warm season corn grass and going back to cool season grasses in the fall. This be nice is hard on the rumen bugs.
0 x
Stocker Steve

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Not sure how bad the ground freezes where you are, but maybe think about doing all your fencing one nice day in the fall and then you just have to roll up wire every time you open up a new junk. Pounding posts in frozen ground every day would get old fast, especially in inclement weather. Or maybe just have a wire gate to open up each paddock so you don't even need to roll up wire then, just open a gate.

Plant it thick and find another thing or two that you could seed with it, the turnip deal mentioned in another thread might be a good match.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
BFE wrote:I'm checking them every day anyway, moving 100 yards of hot wire can't take that long. I can put out an acre of corn for $350 ballpark, and I'll have less in this than that (less N, just enough chemical to give the corn a running start). Can't be any more than good hay, and surely the cows and calves would do better on this program.

Moving wire is not hard at all but it does take time. I figure corn will sell for at least $670/acre and nearly twice that if you market it yourself. Guy down the road made 500 bushels/acre this year so he made a lot more money than this but I guess it depends on how much you expect to make per acre on your cows and how much your time is worth. When I pencil it out it wouldn't be worth it to me. I think I'd rather grow the corn, harvest it, turn the cattle out on the stubble, sell half my corn to hunters and keep the other half to supplement the cattle if I didn't have a source for good hay.

You guys just blow me away. Last time I was in a yield conversation on corn, the braggart of the group was boasting 40 BPA....................... Good luck to you. Glad you can make it.

Must ahve been popcorn, rows on 60 inch centers and plants every 12 inches in the row.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 pm

yields around here are around 120 - 200 bu / ac average for corn and 50 - 60 for beans. most guys aren't trying for maximum yield though. I can't remember my calcs for sure but I was thinking they were probably making around 200 - 300 / ac profit.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Could a cow get a corn loaded ear and cob hug up in the throat. Saw a man at the vet that had a cow that had a half of a horse apple hug up. Vet tried his best to un-lodge it but could not.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 pm

If you can make 2-300$ profit on corn right now, your a much better farmer than me.
As for grazing corn, I would think strip grazing would be a must. My cows would trample more than they ate.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 am

TexasBred wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Must ahve been popcorn, rows on 60 inch centers and plants every 12 inches in the row.

No more like 12" row spacing and 6" on plants (more or less as I remember, 2 ears to the stalk all in the same place, short stalks.....obviously GMO.

On GMO I wonder where the world's food supply would be today without it and that comment dates back to the early years before GMO was called GMO, just good common sense in picking your seedlings from your best performing plants.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”