Need crop suggestion

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Need crop suggestion

Postby coyotefur » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 am

I have a 3 acre pasture that im wanting to put into some sort of crop. I have tractor, tiller, plows etc... but no specialized harvesting equipment. I also want to use the crop for winter cattle feed.

Do you guys/gals have some suggestions?

I'm not looking to buy any major $$$ equipment.

Thanks
Dustin
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Need crop suggestion

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not
3 acres of black walnut trees, but would take a few decades to harvest and buy feed with the proceeds
Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.
0 x

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Son of Butch wrote:3 acres of zucchini would be fun/not
3 acres of black walnut trees, but would take a few decades to harvest and buy feed with the proceeds
Coconut milk 14 oz can 99 cents... there you go... 3 acres of coconut trees and winter your calves on coconut milk.

Serious comments only...
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Turnips?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

3 acres.... tillage equipment, but no planter....no harvesting equipment.
Reseed for pasture.
0 x

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Turnips?

I'm looking into this. I think turnips might be perfect.

Thanks
Dustin
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Son of Butch wrote:3 acres.... tillage equipment, but no planter....no harvesting equipment.
Reseed for pasture.

Most everything that is available for cows can be broadcast. He does have harvest equipment most people call them COWS
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:26 pm

If you have a few acres that won't get damaged by cattle, why not a few black walnut trees or hardwood tree
of your choice along perimeter for future generation?
3 acres is awfully small for any type of field cropping.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Son of Butch wrote:If you have a few acres that won't get damaged by cattle, why not a few black walnut trees or hardwood tree

Maybe in Minnesota but the young man is using what he has to work with and iirc he has less than 10 cows so 3 acres is actually a decent rotation field . Turnips or kale or any winter forage works well in the south and middle. Why are you degrading him because he only has small operation.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

coyotefur
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coyotefur » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pm

M-5 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:If you have a few acres that won't get damaged by cattle, why not a few black walnut trees or hardwood tree

Maybe in Minnesota but the young man is using what he has to work with and iirc he has less than 10 cows so 3 acres is actually a decent rotation field . Turnips or kale or any winter forage works well in the south and middle. Why are you degrading him because he only has small operation.

Thinking the same thing M-5.

I have 165 acres total. Mainly used for hunting. 12 acres pasture and 3 acres for winter pasture with barn, water, electricity etc. I do cut hay. If i can get around feeding as much hay in the winter...maybe and just maybe I can get more cows. Of course with Son of Butch's permission...
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Fescue low pain in rear. Keep them off till jan.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 pm

M-5 wrote:

I'm not degrading him... I have no idea his age or farm size, 3 acres is small no matter if you live in Rhode Island
or Montana. To want to take 3 acres out of pasture and switch it to crop production with no planter or harvest equipment makes no sense to me. Obviously this pasture must already be fenced, but he seems to think of it as worthless as a pasture to want to crop it.

What is wrong with trees?
Don't they celebrate Christmas down south too?
He must have access to water cattle on these 3 acres and since there is water available at the location.
Why not nursery trees for home owners or landscapers?
Last edited by Son of Butch on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I'm not degrading him... I have no idea his age or farm size, 3 acres is small no matter if you live in Rhode Island
or Montana. To want to take 3 acres out of pasture and switch it to crop production with no planter or harvest equipment makes no sense to me. Obviously this pasture must already be fenced, but he seems to think of it as worthless as a pasture to want to crop it.

Yes 3 acres is small , but op stated he want to put a crop for winter feed for cattle. Do yankee cattle eat trees ? Could even plant corn and unless his arms are broke it can be pulled by hand , planting turnips corn or any crop can be done by hand no planter needed. Only need tillage equipment which op stated he has .
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 pm

If u can't comprehend what he is wanting to do why offer ridiculous suggestion and allow people that have an understanding of it to answer with something he could use.
1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
M-5 wrote:

He must have access to water cattle on these 3 acres and since there is water available at the location.
Why not nursery trees for home owners or landscapers?

I can deduce he has about 150acres of woods already planting more trees of winter pasture is not in the cards I don't Imagine
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”