Forage Cost ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Forage Cost ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am

I see quite a few posts on land cost and hay cost, but not much on grazed forage cost. I know in some areas hay is cheaper than pasture. :?

Saw some upper Midwest numbers recently where the total cost, including OH, was $52/ton harvested by the cows. This was a low input operation, with frost seeding every two years as the only purchased input. They were charging 10 yr T bill interest rate * appraised value per acre for the land charge. Have you run any forage total cost numbers like this?
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Forage Cost ?

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I see quite a few posts on land cost and hay cost, but not much on grazed forage cost. I know in some areas hay is cheaper than pasture. :?

Saw some upper Midwest numbers recently where the total cost, including OH, was $52/ton harvested by the cows. This was a low input operation, with frost seeding every two years as the only purchased input. They were charging 10 yr T bill interest rate * appraised value per acre for the land charge. Have you run any forage total cost numbers like this?

How do you even come close in measuring tonnage of grazing. SWAG.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 am

TexasBred wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:I see quite a few posts on land cost and hay cost, but not much on grazed forage cost. I know in some areas hay is cheaper than pasture. :?

How do you even come close in measuring tonnage of grazing. SWAG.
https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/42817/PDF
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah boy. Right on the money and if you're numbers aren't exact your bottom line won't be.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am

I don't know too many things in the cow business that are exact. Even the bottom line changes .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”