Planting bermuda grass hay fields?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Planting bermuda grass hay fields?

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 am

I'm renovating a hay field and would like to seed it with a bermuda grass. Has anyone had any luck planting Cheyenne, Wrangler or Moray Bermuda grass seed as a hay field? I'd like to know your the results, thanks.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Planting bermuda grass hay fields?

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am

I haven't planted it but I've seen articles saying Cheyenne 2 can put out as much tonnage as regular coastal.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm renovating a hay field and would like to seed it with a bermuda grass. Has anyone had any luck planting Cheyenne, Wrangler or Moray Bermuda grass seed as a hay field? I'd like to know your the results, thanks.

I planted Cheyenne results not good.
I have had good luck with common or Red River crab grasses.
The Cheyenne didn’t perform better than the common here.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 am

I'm no authority for sure. But I'm hoping to be someday. I out out some Cheyenne and giant in a blend a last year ago. Both did very well but I really like the giant more. We only did a couple acres and haven't used it . So that might change. Had plans to expand it in a pretty big way this year.
If it doesn't start raining this year that might change.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 am

The blends will revert to common in a few years. I plan to try some Cheyenne 2 this spring as it is better than common in the hay I got and in grazing I have seen. We liked giant here, too. But with the winters it has the life of an annual for us.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 am

Ebenezer wrote:The blends will revert to common in a few years. I plan to try some Cheyenne 2 this spring as it is better than common in the hay I got and in grazing I have seen. We liked giant here, too. But with the winters it has the life of an annual for us.

I agree it’s just high priced common packaging that last about two years.
Instead of buying seed you would be money ahead buying N for your already present common.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:The blends will revert to common in a few years. I plan to try some Cheyenne 2 this spring as it is better than common in the hay I got and in grazing I have seen. We liked giant here, too. But with the winters it has the life of an annual for us.

Instead of buying seed you would be money ahead buying N for your already present common.

I'm wanting growth applying fertilizer doesn't bother me in the least. I keep my pastures fertilized according to soil samples, that way IF it rains I make grass.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

I'm wanting growth applying fertilizer doesn't bother me in the least. I keep my pastures fertilized according to soil samples, that way IF it rains I make grass.

Around here that is the best way to redo a Bermuda stand. The kr bluestem doesn't respond much to fertilizer. The Bermuda will run it over if you feed it.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Have you lightly disced the field lately? That, fertilizer and not baling for a year really helped thicken mine up. Need to do it quickly before green up if you can.
0 x

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 am

Most of the folks i've talked to with seeded varieties weren't satisfied with their plantings, especially if they had experience with the hybrids. Not sure how much management, fertilizer inputs, or what type of soil you're dealing with, but if you own the land, I would consider Tifton 85 or Russell. Quality and quantity blow away the seeded varieties, if they get what they need. I believe it would be worth the price of sprigging, or if you can time it properly around rains, you could try and establish from tops. I've successfully established from tops, but you have to have the correct amount of moisture following the transfer. Of course you need moisture after sprigging too. I've heard Russell is more forgiving post sprigging than T85. I had irrigation, so you could say i cheated.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”