Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7794
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 am

I sat through part of a winter ag meeting yesterday. There were a couple troublemakers included in the producer panels. One was promoting livestock for grain producers and stressing how using manure increased profits. (I don't think he was allocating any OH or charges for manure handling.) Another was promoting saving back open pollinated corn or off patent RR1 SB seed. (This can be legal, but there may be an issue if the variety was also patented.)

So now we have zero fertilizer cost, and less than $10/acre for seed cost... :banana: What is stopping be nice small time grain producers have rolling up big profits? :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29247
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

You can probably get more reliable information sitting around the heater at the feed store.
5 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1657
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby ddd75 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm

they raise hogs everywhere here.. free manure for all the row crops.. they are injecting it in everywhere right now. And they make good money from the hogs as well. I'm going to look into one but I think they want you to have about 500+ acres crop land for one.
0 x

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 am

In other news, did you get yourself a bull at that sale?
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:02 am

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby SDM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 am

ddd75 wrote:they raise hogs everywhere here.. free manure for all the row crops.. they are injecting it in everywhere right now. And they make good money from the hogs as well. I'm going to look into one but I think they want you to have about 500+ acres crop land for one.

Do you mean look into a commercial hog house(s)? Around here the ones I'm aware of are contract growers like the poultry growers. Maybe the rules and/or growing conditions are different where you are but here you don't need anywhere near that much land to get rid of one house's manure production.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7794
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

The business heads talk about the "centerpiece operation" that pays most of the bills. The others have a lower profit threshold (with reduced OH) and some free bees (like bale grazing manure). How this may work depends on your starting point.
If you are starting from the point of a specialized no profit grain grower - - then trendy advise is to add cover crops and cattle. Wintering cows on corn stocks is not a new idea, but it is still a very tough sell. I think many would prefer to just wait for the new farm bill.
If you are starting from the point of a forage based cattlemen - - then the trendy advise is to extend the grazing season and bale graze. Bale grazing is not a new idea either, but it can be an opportunity to start a long rotation. Bale grazing spikes K values, and there is one common grain crop that like lots of K and tolerates some N tied up in residue.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7794
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am

Aaron wrote:In other news, did you get yourself a bull at that sale?


Long story, but I was second bidder on several bulls. The breeder said to be sure and come back. :nod:

Meanwhile, the wife has become a bull sale junkie. She gets a big beef dinner and all the neighborhood news she can handle. Some of the more social sales here also have an open bar the night before. :shock:
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby bigbluegrass » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Bale grazing spikes K values, and there is one common grain crop that like lots of K and tolerates some N tied up in residue.


Sorry if this is an obvious question, but what grain crop are you referring to? I am looking for a cover crop for some newly bale grazed areas.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1657
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:59 pm

bigbluegrass wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Bale grazing spikes K values, and there is one common grain crop that like lots of K and tolerates some N tied up in residue.


Sorry if this is an obvious question, but what grain crop are you referring to? I am looking for a cover crop for some newly bale grazed areas.


radishes / turnips / wheat / all thrive in that
0 x

User avatar
bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby bigbluegrass » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 pm

ddd75 wrote:
bigbluegrass wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Bale grazing spikes K values, and there is one common grain crop that like lots of K and tolerates some N tied up in residue.


Sorry if this is an obvious question, but what grain crop are you referring to? I am looking for a cover crop for some newly bale grazed areas.


radishes / turnips / wheat / all thrive in that


Thanks! I may add wheat to my cover crop mix. I have used radishes and turnips in the fall with mixed results.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1657
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:27 pm

bigbluegrass wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
bigbluegrass wrote:
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but what grain crop are you referring to? I am looking for a cover crop for some newly bale grazed areas.


radishes / turnips / wheat / all thrive in that


Thanks! I may add wheat to my cover crop mix. I have used radishes and turnips in the fall with mixed results.

I haven't had much luck with them either. It seems they are like wheat and like to be spread on top of the ground and not drilled. I'm going to just spread on top of the ground and then run a cultipacker over them a few times. I think that will do the trick.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm

ddd75 wrote:
bigbluegrass wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
radishes / turnips / wheat / all thrive in that


Thanks! I may add wheat to my cover crop mix. I have used radishes and turnips in the fall with mixed results.

I haven't had much luck with them either. It seems they are like wheat and like to be spread on top of the ground and not drilled. I'm going to just spread on top of the ground and then run a cultipacker over them a few times. I think that will do the trick.

I've had my best luck with radishes and turnips just broadcasting over disced ground and dragging a chain harrow over once.
0 x

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Growing "Free" Grain by Leveraging Livestock ?

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:In other news, did you get yourself a bull at that sale?


Long story, but I was second bidder on several bulls. The breeder said to be sure and come back. :nod:

Meanwhile, the wife has become a bull sale junkie. She gets a big beef dinner and all the neighborhood news she can handle. Some of the more social sales here also have an open bar the night before. :shock:


Better enjoy it while the bull buying season lasts! I know I would be taking advantage of a lot of free meals if I was around a bunch of big purebred guys.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: artesianspringsfarm, frank boucher and 5 guests