What's my next move?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

What's my next move?

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Can I afford this? Looked up a 55 lb bag of phosphorus and it was $255.00. Afraid to see what N costs.

0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: What's my next move?

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

How many acres ?? that recommendation is not bad
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm

call your coop ask prices , IMO don't ask for bag prices

you need 100# of N (34% Ammonia nitrate ) to acre
120# TSP (46% P2O5 ) to acre

multiply by your acreage and get them to price you by the ton
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks. I'll do that.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

That's very typical for central Texas.
If you're over budget you can do half this year half next.

We spread five ton of 30-10-0 this morning. When my son returns the spreader he'll pay my bill. I'll report back but I expect somewhere round 400.00 a ton.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Just hung up and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Around $550 w/spreader for 12 acres. Is it too early now to spread? Supposed to rain most of next week.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

callmefence wrote:That's very typical for central Texas.
If you're over budget you can do half this year half next.

We spread five ton of 30-10-0 this morning. When my son returns the spreader he'll pay my bill. I'll report back but I expect somewhere round 400.00 a ton.

422 a ton...
1 x

David Crockett

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm

That’s not a bad analysis. I put on a 50-45-30 on 120 acres today, that one hurt. New ground i just took over. Guys around here think you can just throw some N out and bale it twice a year for 30 years. Then go around complaining all they can grow is foxtail.
Other place needs 7500lbs of lime, but I think I can get the landowner to help out on that
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm

slick4591 wrote:Just hung up and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Around $550 w/spreader for 12 acres. Is it too early now to spread? Supposed to rain most of next week.

Your virtually wasting your money here until the nighttime temps get above 60 degrees. Just giving the weeds a jump start.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

i just looked at wholesale prices..

these should be a good average your coop is charging.

Potash - 330.00
Phosphorus - 360.00
Urea 350.00

per ton.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm kinda hoping to get things right and get good stuff growing and bad stuff eliminated. Don't really know how all that's going to work, but I have some coastal and the rest is native that I don't even know the proper name for. I have one area where it's mostly buttercup and more weeds that needs a lot of work. Some areas where the coastal is doing well and other where the needle grass and other natives thrive. Pretty much dedicated myself to major improvements this year as I'd like to improve stocking rates.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

That's going to be a few days until we get to a sustained 60. He's quoting around $500 for the entire 12 acres. That don't sound bad.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:42 am

slick4591 wrote:I'm kinda hoping to get things right and get good stuff growing and bad stuff eliminated. Don't really know how all that's going to work, but I have some coastal and the rest is native that I don't even know the proper name for. I have one area where it's mostly buttercup and more weeds that needs a lot of work. Some areas where the coastal is doing well and other where the needle grass and other natives thrive. Pretty much dedicated myself to major improvements this year as I'd like to improve stocking rates.

Did you check with Gary Wrede, Eldorado Chem. Whiteright (903) 461-1355? Gondola NC or rental depends on load size last time I used him; 24 hr. max return policy. He sells the Gotcha Plus Super Sudan Sorghum seed too at $20-25-50 lb bag, using a bag per acre.

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in acid blackland as I am.

Keep the cows off it till it's about 8" or so and let here go.
Last edited by Texasmark on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am

Texasmark wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I'm kinda hoping to get things right and get good stuff growing and bad stuff eliminated. Don't really know how all that's going to work, but I have some coastal and the rest is native that I don't even know the proper name for. I have one area where it's mostly buttercup and more weeds that needs a lot of work. Some areas where the coastal is doing well and other where the needle grass and other natives thrive. Pretty much dedicated myself to major improvements this year as I'd like to improve stocking rates.

Did you check with Gary Wrede, Eldorado Chem. Whiteright (903) 461-1355? Gondola NC or rental depends on load size last time I used him; 24 hr. max return policy. He sells the Gotcha Plus Super Sudan Sorghum seed too at $20-25-50 lb bag, using a bag per acre.

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in acid blackland as I am.

Very informative Mark. But that's very high for haygrazer seed.
0 x

David Crockett

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 am

callmefence wrote:
Texasmark wrote:

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in alkaline blackland as I am.

Very informative Mark. But that's very high for haygrazer seed.

This isn't your "run of the mill" SS. I have pictures of one of my crops a few years ago. If I can understand how to load on this network I'll post them....will post this reply and see what I can do.

2 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”