Hay by the ton?????

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Hay by the ton?????

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

stranbe question, and I've reworded it 5 times, and it still doesn't capture what all I'm wanting to know:

I'm in western Ky. What area closest to me, has hay by the ton? I can make my own guess on shipping.

Also, can you get 50,000 pounds on an 18 wheeler?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay by the ton?????

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am

all hay can be bought by the ton . some just price it by the roll. but when the math is done its very close to the ones that sell by the ton. most trucking will try to stay around 48000 #
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am

M-5 wrote:all hay can be bought by the ton . some just price it by the roll. but when the math is done its very close to the ones that sell by the ton. most trucking will try to stay around 48000 #

I'm having trouble wording my question. Yes, I can probably buy hay by the ton, but not readily available in my area (to my knowledge, not at all).

I "think" parts of Arkansas there are people engaged in hay production, that you pick up the phone, place the call, and the hay is on its way.

To the best of my figures, I have $93 a ton in my own hay. That doesn't include the loss of land for grazing. When grass hay is bought by the ton, what is the price range.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 am

its relative to the area your buying from and the current drought conditions. I have seen it 120 a ton to 165 a ton. Here its bought and sold by the roll still. but I have started doing more research because I will sell some hay this year because of the need for quality in the market place , hay traders are in every area of the country . TB and a few other will tell you that you need to test what your buying , That is hard to do when buying out of state. then you factor in freight which is at a premium right now with the passage of ELD , I have manufactures I've been buying from for years and the freight shipments are 30days out . I have had to start arranging my own shipments of shingles and the trucks are running around 1200 $ a load for a 5 hr haul .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:06 pm

BF have you tried the hay exchange? I usually find local hay on craigslist. Will not buy hay again without having it tested, learned the hard way.
1 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:BF have you tried the hay exchange? I usually find local hay on craigslist. Will not buy hay again without having it tested, learned the hard way.

I've got a user name on the hay exchange. Hay production like I have in mind seems to be far south of me, and far west of me.

One might could get lucky, and find hay on Craigslist here. Majority of hay I see on there would be pretty poor quality.

Id like to find someone, that I could commit with, to go ahead and bring me hay in the summer, when it's cut. Store it here, and have it when fall comes.

I don't need enough, to meet my entire hay needs. I just need a portion. We may be talking 2 semi lol ads though.
0 x

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucky » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm

I bought hay this year that was priced by the bale but he spot weighed several bales and then priced the rolls accordingly. My price came out to $96 a ton delivered If I remember right. This was for jiggs or tifton that was cut and fertilized every 30-40 days. It’s worked out good feeding high quality hay this year. I noticed the man put in a full set of truck sales this winter so I figure from now on he will be selling it per ton. I would rather buy it by the ton, who knows for sure what a bale really weighs unless it’s weighed.
1 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 am

Bigfoot wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:BF have you tried the hay exchange? I usually find local hay on craigslist. Will not buy hay again without having it tested, learned the hard way.

I've got a user name on the hay exchange. Hay production like I have in mind seems to be far south of me, and far west of me.

One might could get lucky, and find hay on Craigslist here. Majority of hay I see on there would be pretty poor quality.

Id like to find someone, that I could commit with, to go ahead and bring me hay in the summer, when it's cut. Store it here, and have it when fall comes.

I don't need enough, to meet my entire hay needs. I just need a portion. We may be talking 2 semi lol ads though.

BF if you happen to find a good supplier, please let me know. I would also like to get a few loads mid summer and not wait until I need it.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

BF if you happen to find a good supplier, please let me know. I would also like to get a few loads mid summer and not wait until I need it.

The "reliable" looking adds are south of you in Mississippi and Alabama. Freight from there to here is going to be spendy. You might be in luck. All I have is a tobacco wagon to move hay on. Can't go no piece like that. Even if I had a nice gooseneck, that trip would not be feasible.

I'll tip my hand here.......I know this site doesn't work this way, but I was hoping I'd get a pm from somebody that had the contacts
2 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:23 am

I am way too far west of you. That said grass hay is running $80 to $120 a ton depending on what it is. The rancher I help feed is feeding a lot of haybet barley that he told me cost him $100 a ton. I know there are a lot of different state laws regarding haul weights. There is a guy is sit with at the coffee shop 4 or 5 times a week who custom hauls hay. I know that last week he hauled a load down from Moses Lake and his gross weight was 101,000. The hay I bought the last few years (3 by 4 big squares) ran about 29 ton per load. You can get more weight on a truck with big square than with round bales because they stack tighter.
1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 am

I have typed this message 3 times and then erased it. I am working toward doing what you are looking for. I have the trucking contacts and I am slowly getting to hay fields up to snuff. I can pump out volume but Im trying to work on quality more . I will never be able at this point to be a major player because of time but I could see in a year or 2 to sell 500+ rolls with trucking. I already have a few folks wanting hay based of what o sold this past year.
0 x

Beefeater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Beefeater » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 am

Bought a few loads several years ago. Purchased hay directly, and lined up my own trucking. It was a logistical nightmare. Not a lot of truckers wanting to haul hay - field narrrows even more when you try to find a 52’ step deck trailer. Then comes the really hard part of playing middleman trying to coordinate loading and pickup... (Trucker ready, farmer gone, field too wet, night loading, etc). Think I’d probably just pay a little more and work with a broker or someone capable of delivering if purchasing out of state again.

I’ve never seen hay on a train, but have always wondered if it could be done economically if enough cars could be loaded or an intermodal facility was close. Probably not, with cheap grains and weight...
1 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am

M-5 wrote:I have typed this message 3 times and then erased it. I am working toward doing what you are looking for. I have the trucking contacts and I am slowly getting to hay fields up to snuff. I can pump out volume but Im trying to work on quality more . I will never be able at this point to be a major player because of time but I could see in a year or 2 to sell 500+ rolls with trucking. I already have a few folks wanting hay based of what o sold this past year.

What kind of hay do you put up M5?

Thanks,

Tim
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Tifton 85. I am talking to ifas about trying to integrate alfalfa into it. I planted crimson clover
On 20 acres this past fall. I really did not want to be a hay peddler and will not put all my eggs in one basket but in trying to make a high quality forage for my little bunch I have found a need for good product without dealing with the crazy horse folks.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 pm

If you are feeding every day, why not incorporate corn silage into your feed program? In a bad year, I have less than $30/ton in it, and never touch a thing until I feed it. Hire it planted, hire it sprayed, hire it fertilized, hire it chopped and hire it bagged. I know it ain't apples to apples, but it's worth a look.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”