Hay by the ton?????

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay by the ton?????

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Yes they were, especially marginal end.... somebody must not of bought enough back then.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 am

Good thread here.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:09 am

The grass hay at 108 feed value and $110 a ton versesthe alfalfa 118 feedvalue and $120 ton. Which one is the better buy........for a beef cow herd.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 am

i'd feed the grass hay but thats 65 / roll about. better be be nice good.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am

108 @ $110 fiber levels on both in acceptable range and 108 had 2.9% more protein, although it was also about that
much higher in moisture. But I didn't bother to post those numbers for y'all.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 am

What I was wondering was IF rotating between feeding baled corn stalks and occasional 130 rfv alfalfa grass mix bale
might be more cost effective. I still have corn stalks to feed up, but cows are well into 3rd trimester now.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 am

Son of Butch wrote:What I was wondering was IF rotating between feeding baled corn stalks and occasional 130 rfv alfalfa grass mix bale
might be more cost effective. I still have corn stalks to feed up, but cows are well into 3rd trimester now.

That's how I do it. Might as well make use of what you got. I'll flip flop between good and bad and just watch the cow pies to judge how to rotate between the different hays.
2 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 am

yeah.... guess to be clearer I was wondering when purchasing hay if 90 rfv hay is $90 ton and 130+ rfv is $130 is it
more cost effective than the 90/$90 or is it a wash?

The 131 rfv Alfalfa/grass mix that sold for $130 was mine...
I've got more to sell, but I don't want to steer anyone wrong just to make a sale.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Just a guess on my part but I think it would depend on how many bales of corn stalks you have need of feeding. I would think you could get shed of more of these feeding them with the higher quality hay than the lower. Personally I'd want to use the stalks up as quick as possible since I don't think I could store them very long. I've never fed corn stalks but would consider them similar to peanut hay which has a short shelf life.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 pm

where im at in NC you can buy 5x4 rolls for $25 from just about anybody especially if your getting a tractor trailer load at a time and paying cash, so $75 a ton but you buy it by the roll not the ton around here
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Son of Butch wrote:yeah.... guess to be clearer I was wondering when purchasing hay if 90 rfv hay is $90 ton and 130+ rfv is $130 is it more cost effective than the 90/$90 or is it a wash?

Could adjust gross prices down for the fertilizer available value, which will reduce the price difference.

Cows will consume more pounds per day of the higher protein hay if it is available.

So it depends on how you feed and how you handle manure. Grass hay would be lower cost in my cow wintering system.
1 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am

Farmers and ranchers often tell me their prairie hay or cane hay or other grass hay looks really good but when a lab tested it the relative feed value, also called RFV, was surprisingly low. Protein was good, TDN was okay, and the animals did just fine. So what’s wrong with relative feed value?
Actually nothing is wrong. We must understand how RFV is calculated and how it should be used. First, relative feed value is calculated using only fiber values. Even though protein certainly affects the value of hay, it has absolutely no affect on the calculation of relative feed value.
Relative feed value was initially developed for the dairy industry. It was designed to help rank the potential energy intake of different hays by lactating dairy cows. RFV does this quite well, especially for legumes like alfalfa.
Grass hay, though, is a bit more difficult. Grass has more fiber than alfalfa, which lowers its RFV. But, that fiber often is more digestible than alfalfa fiber. So grass hay frequently is ranked lower than it should be using relative feed value.
Also, RFV doesn’t predict performance by other types of animals, like beef cows, as well because potential energy intake does not have as much influence on their performance.
What this basically means is that when you feed grass hay to animals other than dairy cows, focus on crude protein and TDN.
The RFV is much less important and could cause you to worry more than its worth.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

user1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby user1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm

There is one reliable person to get your hay from, yourself. Otherwise it’s a yearly battle
1 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 pm

user1 wrote:There is one reliable person to get your hay from, yourself. Otherwise it’s a yearly battle

I think my hay supplier is probably more reliable than I would be.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

M & P
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby M & P » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 am

user1 wrote:There is one reliable person to get your hay from, yourself. Otherwise it’s a yearly battle

0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”