Clover Question

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Clover Question

Postby sstterry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I have taken over our farm since my Dad passed away last summer. We have about 30 acres of hay fields and I would like to get some clover in them. Also, some of the pasture has been seriously ignored for several years. I have been doing my research and I was thinking that my best option is to sew some Medium Red Clover in the Hay Fields and some Ladino White in the pastures (I will also be overseeding Fescue in the pastures too.) I live in East Tennessee and was wondering if this would be a good plan or if there are better alternatives? Also, should I go with coated seed? What about coating on the Fescue? Is there any reason to get coated Fescue?

Edit: The Hay fields are primarily Fescue.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Clover Question

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm

No reason for coated fescue, yes on coated clover, and you have the right plan for this area with the clover. I'm spreading ladino clover on pastures this week. 150lb worth.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

turklilley
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turklilley » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

The problem with red clover in hay fields, is red clover does not dry well. If conditions are not perfect, it extends drying time 2 days. Makes good feed if you get it before the rain.
1 x

poorboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby poorboy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm still about a year of being ready for clover in my pastures though. I was too late to get the buttercup under control last spring and I need lime. So I'm getting ready to spray as soon as the ground dries and a little warmer. Going to lime this fall, I'll have to do a soil sample to find exactly where I'm at now with nutrients. I'll reseed clover once I can get rid of the weeds since most sprays knock it back or wipe it out.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:08 pm

poorboy wrote:I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm still about a year of being ready for clover in my pastures though. I was too late to get the buttercup under control last spring and I need lime. So I'm getting ready to spray as soon as the ground dries and a little warmer. Going to lime this fall, I'll have to do a soil sample to find exactly where I'm at now with nutrients. I'll reseed clover once I can get rid of the weeds since most sprays knock it back or wipe it out.

Good plan. Time is now for the butter cup in this area if you get the weather
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am

turklilley wrote:The problem with red clover in hay fields, is red clover does not dry well. If conditions are not perfect, it extends drying time 2 days. Makes good feed if you get it before the rain.

Is there another clover that would be better in the hay fields?
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 am

Common red and common white are what I would do. The ditches are full of red. White seems to be everywhere. Honestly, no point in fighting nature.

Broadcast some red last fall and seems the majority came up.

Seems to be an excellent year for clover everywhere around here i've been.

My Pops and I took over this farm 3-4 years ago from my Papaw. It was in pretty rough shape. The two best things I did were to start rotating pasture fields, and run a disk through the hayfields (not real aggressive). When I disked the hayfields, i spread fescue seed pretty thick. To my surprise, had a flush of Orchard Grass and Red Clover. You might also be surprised what is laying in the seed bank, just waiting to get the chance to sprout. Make sure to spray. I wish i had earlier than i did.

Best of luck.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Hay fields are in pretty good shape but I am planing on spraying as soon as it drys and warms up a little more. I am just going to go with 2,4-d this year because I want to get the clover in there to help with nitrogen. Spray first and then seed the clover. The reason I was going to go with medium red is that it is a biennial and I can get two years from it. I am going with white in the pastures.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”