Round bales stored outside

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Round bales stored outside

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:01 am

bird dog wrote:If outside on the ground, your location makes all the difference in the world. Stack as Jeanne suggests but put them on a moderate slope where the rain will wash down between the rows of bales. If the sun shines through these same rows, all the better.

The moisture has to be able to move away from the bale to minimize the water from leaching up from the bottom.

That is an important note. I forgot to mention that.
Obviously, if you could put down a gravel pad, deep enough for water to drain, that would be best.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I store on the ground. Pushed together flat side to flat side as tight as I can get them. Net wrapped.

Maybe the net wrap makes a difference when storing flat side to flat side. We don’t use net wrap, and we never had much luck pushing the flat ends together. They were always moist and rotten about half way down once they were apart. I’ve noticed others folks store end to end, and theirs look the same way. We have better results leaving a few inches in between the flat ends. Any suggestions?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 am

string wrapped bales keep just fine pushed end to end and not covered . the key is to get them tight . if the weather is favorable this year I will have a bunch to store outside , I will cover with plastic, Its take some time and 2 people to secure it but I cut a bunch of 3' strings we find one a cut it on the bale my wife pulls it out from under the plastic and ties a loop in it I tie the 3' piece to my end she throws it over and I cinch it down tight with a butchers knot. 1 string per bale on a row will hold the plastic in place all year . when you feed from it you just roll it back and tuck it under the strings .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 am

built my new hay barn last year hoping I can have every roll stored inside :)

i've never stored hay inside so this will be a treat for me and the cows.. plus it should save me 20% in hay.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 am

Nice tight net wrapped bales hold up good outside. If you don't cover string tied bales outside, it's just a waste of good hay. I've tried about everything when it comes to storing string tied hay outside and can't find anything that works good. If your worried about time, money or quality, you need a hay barn.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 am

I also have a hay barn. It is a steel, pole type barn. I think it is one of the best investment/improvements you can make for the farm. I cleaned mine out this year for some of the hay had been in there five years. The rolls some rodent damage (and bird crap on top) and the bottom of some rolls had some water damage but all in all I was very pleased. The cows ate it like it was fresh cut.
It was my reserve hay so will have to be replenished this year. Hopefully we will have a good hay year.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am

When I say pushed up tight, I mean really TIGHT. I start a row and when I have about 6 in place, I push the row until it is bowing up. I NEVER have any spoilage between the bales. So, I am guessing you are NOT pushing them together tight enough. And they need to be fairly close in size.
1 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:When I say pushed up tight, I mean really TIGHT. I start a row and when I have about 6 in place, I push the row until it is bowing up. I NEVER have any spoilage between the bales. So, I am guessing you are NOT pushing them together tight enough. And they need to be fairly close in size.

Could it depend on how long it sits outside? The ones that are cut in the spring and fed that following winter are no problem regardless; however, I always have a few left over every season; they will end up being outside for 19-22 months and are usually the ones with the issue.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Prob the best infrastructure investment that we've made are hoop buildings (upper left side of the pic) for hay storage. I have put up 3 of them. I can store around 300 4x6 bales in a 30x60 building, with little to no hay loss. 2 yr old hay is still in a nice tight roll.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

herofan - definitely hard to keep dry bales out for two years. I wouldn't see spoilage "between" bales, but it will definitely be more on the bottom & outside edges.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Lazy M wrote:Image
Prob the best infrastructure investment that we've made are hoop buildings (upper left side of the pic) for hay storage. I have put up 3 of them. I can store around 300 4x6 bales in a 30x60 building, with little to no hay loss. 2 yr old hay is still in a nice tight roll.

How tall is that barn? 30x60x? I built a hay/equipment shed but am thinking about one of these for extra storage
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Neat picture.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Lucky wrote:

How tall is that barn? 30x60x? I built a hay/equipment shed but am thinking about one of these for extra storage

It's around 20' at the peak of the trusses
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I post this all the time, so I might as well again. A neighbor down the road, had 10 or 12 cows, and put up 40 or 50 rolls. He would lay two light poles down side by side. Maybe left an 18"gap. He would then lay a sheet of old tin on top the hay roll. Weighted the tin down with tires and concrete blocks. It looked like it'd been stored inside, when he fed it. That'd work for a few head. Not sure if Id want to go that route if I had many to feed.

Thats a good idea on the poles. Wonder what kind of creatures you could get living under those bales like that? :shock:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I post this all the time, so I might as well again. A neighbor down the road, had 10 or 12 cows, and put up 40 or 50 rolls. He would lay two light poles down side by side. Maybe left an 18"gap. He would then lay a sheet of old tin on top the hay roll. Weighted the tin down with tires and concrete blocks. It looked like it'd been stored inside, when he fed it. That'd work for a few head. Not sure if Id want to go that route if I had many to feed.

Thats a good idea on the poles. Wonder what kind of creatures you could get living under those bales like that? :shock:

With my luck, a couple dozen skunks.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”