Pasture renovations

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Pasture renovations

Postby CCCowman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Closing on 30 acres (in the background of the attached picture) and looking at renovating for pasture and hay. It has some decent mixed grass but also a lot of sage grass. I was thinking about discing, seed, drag and the cultipack. Any suggestions?

Soils test shows it needs 2 tons of lime per acre.

0 x
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Pasture renovations

Postby snoopdog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 pm

I would apply half the lime now , if I could afford it . I wouldn't disc if it's got a decent stand , and it looks like it does . What was it's use previously ?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CCCowman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:28 pm

snoopdog wrote:I would apply half the lime now , if I could afford it . I wouldn't disc if it's got a decent stand , and it looks like it does . What was it's use previously ?

Nothing for probably 8-10 years. Before that a big corn field.
0 x
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 pm

I would apply the lime asap lime is cheap here and likely cheap and everywhere n east tn too. Most soil test are for 100% lime i havent seen any so read your fine print.May need more to get 2 tons. If you have decent grass i would not disk it. Cheaper to drill some in and fix what you have.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 pm

If it's rough go ahead and spend time to disk and get it right. You will regret it if you don't
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I'd sure hate the thoughts of dragging a disc over old sod, if I were going to work it up I'd want to hit it with a moldboard first and get the sods out of sight to break down in their own good time.
0 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Is it rough? I would put the lime on and wait till fall to drill seed if it’s not rough and needs working. I have not had good luck drilling fescue in the spring. July/August drought always kill mine. Remember potash and dap helps a whole lot with sage
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 pm

My best pasture restoration implement is the Hay King (brand) pasture renovator. If I use anything I do that first (black clay) and everything else comes next, if at all.

Today is the hottest day this year (80F) and I spotted numerous places where I had Coastal Bermuda chutes with 5 leaves showing in places. Most of the shoots are right along the cut lines of my renovator. Usually I don't get any CB action till late April, 1st of May time line.

The coulters that precede the subsoiler shanks cut the runners from the plant's main root system making a new plant out of every piece and makes a place for the fertilizer to accumulate when it rains. I contour plow which helps control loss of nutrients and erosion on my hillsides.
1 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:00 am

Added point on the Hay King is that it is basically a shallow, like 10" subsoiler, when subsoilers can get into a couple of feet or so long, and surface distrubance is minimal. Just leaves a little slit in the ground and even on dry clay soil, the clods are minimal.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 am

We have an old subsoiler. Any practicality to running it side to side on hillside pastures if I kept it under a foot deep? Seen a few videos of guys doing, but have never seen the outcome/results.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am

ClinchValley wrote:We have an old subsoiler. Any practicality to running it side to side on hillside pastures if I kept it under a foot deep? Seen a few videos of guys doing, but have never seen the outcome/results.

Yes. Works good.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dixie2542 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Hogtiming wrote:Is it rough? I would put the lime on and wait till fall to drill seed if it’s not rough and needs working. I have not had good luck drilling fescue in the spring. July/August drought always kill mine. Remember potash and dap helps a whole lot with sage

What is dap?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Dixie2542 wrote:
Hogtiming wrote:Is it rough? I would put the lime on and wait till fall to drill seed if it’s not rough and needs working. I have not had good luck drilling fescue in the spring. July/August drought always kill mine. Remember potash and dap helps a whole lot with sage

What is dap?

Diammonium phosphate.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dixie2542 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”