First time planting hay-grazer

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm

I just measured the field today and most of it was 14”. We haven’t had but an inch of rain since it was sowed.
Due to get some rain here the next few days. I’m hoping it makes 30-40 inches around the next dry spell. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about cutting sudan or millet for hay it’s that anytime it’s dry and close to 30” cut it.

We have had millet go from 3 to 5ft tall and have stalks bigger than corn when you get a couple weeks of wet weather. Makes baling it a nightmare.
0 x

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:32 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:I just measured the field today and most of it was 14”. We haven’t had but an inch of rain since it was sowed.
Due to get some rain here the next few days. I’m hoping it makes 30-40 inches around the next dry spell. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about cutting sudan or millet for hay it’s that anytime it’s dry and close to 30” cut it.

We have had millet go from 3 to 5ft tall and have stalks bigger than corn when you get a couple weeks of wet weather. Makes baling it a nightmare.


That's interesting. The sudan/sorghum hybrid I planted has a web site that says to cut it at about 48"-60" for the first cutting, about 8" off the ground. We'll see how it does after that. The rain normally stops around the end of June here so I may be lucky to get it to grow back out very well. We are supposed to get a little rain here later this week. So far I've been pretty lucky regarding the rain.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

From the forage analysis I’ve seen done by universities the protein content really starts dropping after it reaches 42”. We do our calving in the fall so I want the protein content to be pretty good. This will allow me not to supplement them as much.

Another big reason is getting it dry. I haven’t had much luck getting summer annuals dry enough to bale in our humid weather if you allow them to get real big. I’m hoping the high seeding rate keeps the stocks small on the sorghum sudan.
0 x

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 am

It's amazing what a couple of inches of rain does to this stuff.
Image

Image

Image
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 am

It's amazing what a couple of inches of rain does to this stuff.
Image

Image

Image
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 am

Looking good! Mine finally came on, but it hasn't stopped raining since it started. It needs N, but I can't even walk across it without sinking to the top of my boots. Ended up with a bumper stand of crabgrass to go along with it.
Image

Image

Image
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby kentuckyguy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:46 am

Image

Here’s a pic of the BMR sorghum sudan this morning. We have had a lot of rain. It’s 29” tall right now. I’m hoping to cut it and the end of the week during a 4-5 day dry spell. I’m afraid if I try to let it grow 8-10 more inches I’ll get bit by a wet spell and have corn stalks.

With all this rain it’s growing almost a foot a week.
1 x

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Looking good! Mine finally came on, but it hasn't stopped raining since it started. It needs N, but I can't even walk across it without sinking to the top of my boots. Ended up with a bumper stand of crabgrass to go along with it.
Image

Image

Image

Looks good!
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 am

kentuckyguy wrote:Image

Here’s a pic of the BMR sorghum sudan this morning. We have had a lot of rain. It’s 29” tall right now. I’m hoping to cut it and the end of the week during a 4-5 day dry spell. I’m afraid if I try to let it grow 8-10 more inches I’ll get bit by a wet spell and have corn stalks.

With all this rain it’s growing almost a foot a week.

That looks really good. Mine still likes a while until it is ready to bale. At least a couple of weeks, which is good because I'm going to be gone all next week and possibly part of the week after. My son is graduating from Combat Medic training in San Antonio next week and we may have to drive him to Kentucky for his next post.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 852
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:17 am

AZAggie wrote:It's amazing what a couple of inches of rain does to this stuff.
Image

Image

Image
how big is that field?
0 x

User avatar
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am
Location: Sayre OK

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby AZAggie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

ez14. wrote:
AZAggie wrote:It's amazing what a couple of inches of rain does to this stuff.
Image

Image

Image
how big is that field?

40 acres
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm jealous of all these fields! They look awesome!

Tim
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Image

Laid it down today. Hopefully we can get some hot dry weather the next 4-5 days.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:58 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:Image

Laid it down today. Hopefully we can get some hot dry weather the next 4-5 days.


That’s going to make some hay! Are you planning on wrapping it? Hopefully it stays dry for you this week. Plenty of heat on the way!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:Image

Laid it down today. Hopefully we can get some hot dry weather the next 4-5 days.


That’s going to make some hay! Are you planning on wrapping it? Hopefully it stays dry for you this week. Plenty of heat on the way!


I wish I had a wrapper. That’s something I will probably purchase within the next few years.

We are supposed to be dry till Monday and in the 90’s. AWIS is showing very high pan evaporation the next three days so I have got my fingers crossed.

This should be 14-16% protein hay.
0 x


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Supa Dexta and 3 guests