Amount of hay fed in winter

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Amount of hay fed in winter

Postby herofan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I’m in Ky, and for the past several years, I’ve had around 20 cows. I feed around 100, 5x5 rolls in the winter. Some people can’t believe it. They feel that is not much. I know one guy with 35 cows who said he fed 400 rolls last year. That’s just one example.

I believe the main thing is that I let them roam around 70 acres of pasture through the winter. I know a lot of people put their cattle in smaller areas in winter; I don’t know what that’s all about, but I can see where it would require more hay. I also know a guy who doesn’t use hay-rings or any kind of feeder. I’m sure that is a huge waste.
0 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Amount of hay fed in winter

Postby jwimberly » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 pm

That's pretty much spot on with what I fed last winter. 18 cows, bull, and a few calves.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

That is about the same as my operation.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 pm

My cattle numbers and weather fluctuate to put an avg on it.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:59 pm

That's a lot of hay y'all are feeding. I figure 5 - 4x5 rolls to the cow, or 35 pounds of hay a day per cow. I'm not going to tell y'all y'all's business, but figuring everything by weight is easier to figure cost per cow, and how much you need to supplement. Numbers don't lie, even though sometimes you wish you could make them.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:That's a lot of hay y'all are feeding. I figure 5 - 4x5 rolls to the cow, or 35 pounds of hay a day per cow. I'm not going to tell y'all y'all's business, but figuring everything by weight is easier to figure cost per cow, and how much you need to supplement. Numbers don't lie, even though sometimes you wish you could make them.

Five 4x5 isn’t all that different than five 5x5 bales, though of course not all bales are equal.
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 pm

I feed less than a hundred 5x6 rolls to a 100 hd cow herd....probably closer to 70 rolls. But then I am able to graze up into Feb. most winters and start back grazing aound the middle of march.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Banjo wrote:I feed less than a hundred 5x6 rolls to a 100 hd cow herd....probably closer to 70 rolls. But then I am able to graze up into Feb. most winters and start back grazing aound the middle of march.

I gotta be nosy Banjo, how many acres of grazing and what part of KY are you in?

I sure can't achieve results like that.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 pm

I like at least 500 5x5 bales to winter 90 cows plus a lot have calves during that time. Just put up 490 5x5 bales (got done today) and have about 200 left over from the year before and if dry weather doesn't get to bad should have some fall hay. We have been lucky on the the weather around here the last few years compared to a lot of the country.
Last edited by jltrent on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm

I keep 6 4x5 rolls per cow but figure on feeding 3. But I stockpile a lot so my numbers aren't high.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:55 pm

I fed just over 10 4x5 roughly 900lbs bales per cow last winter. But winter here is feeding hay from December thru May with 4 feet of snow on the ground for a majority of that.
1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:26 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I fed just over 10 4x5 roughly 900lbs bales per cow last winter. But winter here is feeding hay from December thru May with 4 feet of snow on the ground for a majority of that.

How do you hold off tell December?
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 pm

I usually try to have enough grass to get into December but often the snow puts a stop to grazing before that, sometimes as early as late October but some years I get lucky like last year I grazed until almost Christmas.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 am

like true grit.. i feed around 30 - 35 lb / day per cow.

In KY I fed from Dec. 25 - March 20th every year.

let's say you feed 5 months.. @ 30 lb a day / cow.. = 600 lbs per day. So you should be feeding half a bale a day. So you should be around 75 - 80 bales for the 5 months with 20 cows. If they have calves they will need more and you would be right at around the 100 bales you feed.

so you are doing a good job.

btw, i never had a feeder in ky, I always unrolled my hay on my fields all winter. 6 bales per day. It'd be so green and I'd be grazing in March and everywhere else was brown and dead.
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:10 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Banjo wrote:I feed less than a hundred 5x6 rolls to a 100 hd cow herd....probably closer to 70 rolls. But then I am able to graze up into Feb. most winters and start back grazing aound the middle of march.

I gotta be nosy Banjo, how many acres of grazing and what part of KY are you in?

I sure can't achieve results like that.

Southeast Ky. I am running just over 2 acres per momma cow. I was right at 2 to 1 up until about a month a go.....I sold a few heifers that I didn't want to keep. I actually think I could do 1.5 acres to 1 cow....that's not counting all or most of those cows have calves on them at different sizes.
I have learned that most cattle farmers can get by with only half of the farm or less during the growing season, hence they make hay out of the other half. I don't make hay I just let it grow and clip it 2 or three times and then when fall comes I have stockpiled fescue ready to graze on half the farm.
Right now I am rotating daily about 65 cows and bull plus calves through about 50 acres. That allows me to let the rest of the farm rest and regenerate. I have a lot of Caucasian Bluestem (that's what the nrcs called it) grass that comes in about the middle of May and lasts until frost and by then the fescue has already dovetailed into it.
I have another place about 10 miles away that I do the same thing at. I am playing around with some crabgrass there. I think if you had a good stand of crabgrass on about a 1/3 of the farm .....a person could let the rest of the farm rest/grow and have lots of fescue come fall and winter.
I went in and disked a few acres that were kind of thin and everywhere I disked the crabgrass is coming on good. I disked it about a month late .....the research says it needs to be disked in early April. It would come on quicker and have a better chance of getting rain for germination. This is all just common crabgrass....I may try some of the RR or Quik and Big next year.
2 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”