Bought all my hay this year

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bought all my hay this year

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 am

I pay $12 a roll to a guy to rake and roll, we cut it. These are 4x5s.

I buy 4x5 rolls from the same guy for $25.00 delivered.

The ground we just finished cutting and rolling was either free to us or on our property but unfenced.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:16 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I pay $12 a roll to a guy to rake and roll, we cut it. These are 4x5s.

The ground we just finished cutting and rolling was either free to us or on our property but unfenced.

That is cheap even by our standards. This will surprise many - when Elwood quoted me $30 delivered, my first thought was that it was a little high!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I pay $12 a roll to a guy to rake and roll, we cut it. These are 4x5s.

That is cheap even by our standards. This will surprise many - when Elwood quoted me $30 delivered, my first thought was that it was a little high!

I'm pretty happy with the arrangement.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

TT: it shocks me how many land owners here allow hay to be put up with the only benefit being having their fields mowed!!! My neighbor who has lived here for 60 years, puts all his hay up under that arrangement.

Edited to add: He does not fertilize the hay on those lands. The hay does not look that bad but it is 80 % fescue.
0 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

TT: it shocks me how many land owners here allow hay to be put up with the only benefit being having their fields mowed!!! My neighbor who has lived here for 60 years, puts all his hay up under that arrangement.

Edited to add: He does not fertilize the hay on those lands. The hay does not look that bad but it is 80 % fescue.

We are about to tie up 150 acres owned by DOW Corning about 14 miles down Hwy 42 from us. We cut part of it this year for the first time free of charge. If we can get a 3 year lease we will perform soil tests and treat accordingly. They literally just want the grass cut.
2 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am

Just got through with my 2nd cutting. Cut at 5 weeks old. 40 acres Bermuda grass/168 4x6 rolls=4.2 rolls/acre. My per bale breakdown was: $2/bale/rent, $20/bale/cut,rake,bale, $27/bale/fertilizer. $49/roll. Good hay but it’s expensive.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Just got through with my 2nd cutting. Cut at 5 weeks old. 40 acres Bermuda grass/168 4x6 rolls=4.2 rolls/acre. My per bale breakdown was: $2/bale/rent, $20/bale/cut,rake,bale, $27/bale/fertilizer. $49/roll. Good hay but it’s expensive.

You got a good pencil. Some of the farmers here have never seen a pencil. I am on the county cattle board which functions through the auspices of the extension office. Some Farmers here think they are putting up their hay for only the cost of fuel! It is simply a matter of ignorance. That accounts for why hay here sells for below the cost of production.
0 x
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 am

Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Just got through with my 2nd cutting. Cut at 5 weeks old. 40 acres Bermuda grass/168 4x6 rolls=4.2 rolls/acre. My per bale breakdown was: $2/bale/rent, $20/bale/cut,rake,bale, $27/bale/fertilizer. $49/roll. Good hay but it’s expensive.

You got a good pencil. Some of the farmers here have never seen a pencil. I am on the county cattle board which functions through the auspices of the extension office. Some Farmers here think they are putting up their hay for only the cost of fuel! It is simply a matter of ignorance. That accounts for why hay here sells for below the cost of production.

I try to keep up with it pretty close. Its my single biggest expense so I try to shave it as much as possible without sacrificing quality. Quality is better at 4 weeks but 5 weeks is the best balance between quality and quantity for Bermuda grass here. Like I said earlier I really want to get as close as possible to 100% grazing with hay as an emergency backup.
3 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I try to keep up with it pretty close. Its my single biggest expense so I try to shave it as much as possible without sacrificing quality. Quality is better at 4 weeks but 5 weeks is the best balance between quality and quantity for Bermuda grass here. Like I said earlier I really want to get as close as possible to 100% grazing with hay as an emergency backup.

Years back, I’ve put up sone Bermuda/ryegrass/burr clover that went 16.5%. Can’t really afford to do that anymore. :lol: I shoot for 9 - 10%. As TB said, it doesn’t take much to supplement 8% hay. Generally can do that with just a little green winter pasture. Although it is getting to where that is getting expensive also. Used to be a no-brained when we could plant in August and start grazing first of November. Now it’s late October before it’s up and gets enough moisture and cool weather to survive.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am

I don't own any hay equipment except the spears on my tractor. We provide 1 worker out of 3 needed. My hay cost - out of pocket - generally runs around $12 - $16. Cost of fertilizer & rent on 50 acres & $15 this year = $27.50 /baleage
It will average out cheaper than that, because I will be getting a 2nd cutting and grazing, so fertilizer & rent would be diluted a little more.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm

1982vett wrote:Years back, I’ve put up sone Bermuda/ryegrass/burr clover that went 16.5%. Can’t really afford to do that anymore. :lol: I shoot for 9 - 10%. As TB said, it doesn’t take much to supplement 8% hay. Generally can do that with just a little green winter pasture. Although it is getting to where that is getting expensive also. Used to be a no-brained when we could plant in August and start grazing first of November. Now it’s late October before it’s up and gets enough moisture and cool weather to survive.

Same here. August and September are still brutally hot. It’s late September at best or October before armyworms aren’t a threat and usually dry as a popcorn fart. I need a pivot and well. But it takes a long time to get that $80k back. Costs a lot to try and fight nature. My plan thus far has been to plant some convential tilled grazing (usually $100-$120/ac) and overseed a few pastures (usually $30-50/ac). Conventional tilled normally yields 3-4x the amount of grazing. Maybe I’m not doing the overseeding right.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

i'll be buying all my cattle hay next year and all the hay i make will go to my sheep operation.

best deal around here i'm getting is $30 / 4x5 .. which are kinda light... but decent hay no weeds...
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Can get 5x4's in Knoxville for $20 out of the field. Fertilized, very few weeds. Vermeer bales. Couple neighbors. Talked like they had trouble getting it gone.

Can get 4x4's for 15-20 dollars out of the field. Fertilized usually. Seems this deal is very common here. Probably the most abundant. And 4x5's for 20-25.

Was quoted $25 On some 4x5's this morning. No fertilize nor herbicide. Thought it was awfully expensive for right now.

Saw a few in Bulls Gap had hay in rings already. It looks to be gone dry over that way.

Thinking I should buy 50 or so bales while they are cheap.

Strongly considering buying 1/2 of the hay we need next year and graze half of our current hay ground. See how it goes. That dang fertilizer bill is already hurting my feelings. Gonna throw some down for 2nd cut if we ever get some moisture, just to see how it produces. But got a pretty good feeling it pays to buy hay around here. $15 4x4's and $20 5x4's make it hard to argue otherwise IMO.

If we had an empty shed or barn, I would buy as much as I could afford just to sell when everyone runs out. Probably wouldn't work how I hope. But would like to try it one year.

Guy down the road sells tested 4x5's through university of tn for $45. See some bought for cattle, doesn't make sense to me really.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 pm

ClinchValley wrote:Can get 5x4's in Knoxville for $20 out of the field. Fertilized, very few weeds. Vermeer bales. Couple neighbors. Talked like they had trouble getting it gone.

That absolutely blows my mind. Either I’m and idiot and can’t figure or they can’t. Not sure which. I believe if I were you I’d buy all they have. At that price you can buy bagged feed to supplement and still come out.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:Can get 5x4's in Knoxville for $20 out of the field. Fertilized, very few weeds. Vermeer bales. Couple neighbors. Talked like they had trouble getting it gone.

That absolutely blows my mind. Either I’m and idiot and can’t figure or they can’t. Not sure which. I believe if I were you I’d buy all they have. At that price you can buy bagged feed to supplement and still come out.

Mike,

I am telling you, some of these guys don't know how to expense their products. And that hurts everyone who is selling because it depresses the market.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”