Truly Amazing Pasture

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:16 pm

I got about 80 acres that look like this. I don't fertilize. The rain, Kentucky soil, and wood elves is what creates it. Plus, a regular mowing program. Mowing makes forage!
Image
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4299
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:21 pm

You forgot the low stocking rate part of the equation. ;-)
4 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Looks like a day of grazing and it'd be gone...
0 x

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1114
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby Banjo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Looks great....never mind the naysayers.
2 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1789
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby herofan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:02 pm

That does look great! I’ve actually started mowing pasture more this year, and it looks much better.
1 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29623
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Banjo wrote:Looks great....never mind the naysayers.

They don't have a clue. None of them have anything like this. Looks great to me Raven but as was mentioned it could carry a lot more cattle than you put on it. A lot of pastures around here are already grazed down to almost nothing. Lack of rain and overstocking.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:38 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:You forgot the low stocking rate part of the equation. ;-)


I haven't forgotten. Things can change quickly. Kentucky is very fortunate that precipitation is reliable but that does not rule out the possibility of a drought. At this point in my journey, I don't plan to push the limits of the carrying capacity of the farm.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby M-5 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm

I should post a pic of my yard. It's understocked and I mow it every week.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm

ddd75 wrote:Looks like a day of grazing and it'd be gone...


That is a function of how many head you put on it.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1789
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby herofan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:You forgot the low stocking rate part of the equation. ;-)


I haven't forgotten. Things can change quickly. Kentucky is very fortunate that precipitation is reliable but that does not rule out the possibility of a drought. At this point in my journey, I don't plan to push the limits of the carrying capacity of the farm.


I notice that stocking is always something people bring up with you. How many cows do you currently have?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:47 pm

herofan wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:You forgot the low stocking rate part of the equation. ;-)


I haven't forgotten. Things can change quickly. Kentucky is very fortunate that precipitation is reliable but that does not rule out the possibility of a drought. At this point in my journey, I don't plan to push the limits of the carrying capacity of the farm.


I notice that stocking is always something people bring up with you. How many cows do you currently have?


Right now on the farm:

15 bred cows ranging in age from 3 years to 8 years old.

2 bred heifers

All due September/ October

3 open heifers 9 months old

3 bulls 9 months old.

My total acreage is 80. Probably 5 acres in infrastructure. Probably 15 acres in mixed woods/pasture. So 60 acres that is nothing but pasture as shown in that picture.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Banjo wrote:Looks great....never mind the naysayers.

They don't have a clue. None of them have anything like this. Looks great to me Raven but as was mentioned it could carry a lot more cattle than you put on it. A lot of pastures around here are already grazed down to almost nothing. Lack of rain and overstocking.

who doesn't have a clue?
0 x

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1789
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby herofan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
herofan wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
I haven't forgotten. Things can change quickly. Kentucky is very fortunate that precipitation is reliable but that does not rule out the possibility of a drought. At this point in my journey, I don't plan to push the limits of the carrying capacity of the farm.


I notice that stocking is always something people bring up with you. How many cows do you currently have?


Right now on the farm:

15 bred cows ranging in age from 3 years to 8 years old.

2 bred heifers

All due September/ October

3 open heifers 9 months old

3 bulls 9 months old.

My total acreage is 80. Probably 5 acres in infrastructure. Probably 15 acres in mixed woods/pasture. So 60 acres that is nothing but pasture as shown in that picture.


Sounds good to me. I usually run around 20 cows and have 130 acres. Around 75 is in pasture. I usually don’t have to worry about pasture getting low even in dry weather. I also don’t have a problem producing enough hay on first cutting.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7457
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Truly Amazing Pasturex

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I got about 80 acres that look like this. I don't fertilize. The rain, Kentucky soil, and wood elves is what creates it. Plus, a regular mowing program. Mowing makes forage!
Image

What do you do with those big piles of cow crap that you had pushed up from winter feeding?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7457
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Truly Amazing Pasture

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 pm

I stock my place according to the grass. Right now I'm stocking close to a cow pair to the acre. Less than three months ago I was selling because of the lack of grass. We have cow sales every week besides the Christmas and Easter weeks. I like to give myself the best opportunity to make a few dollars in the cattle business.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests