The Renovation Blues

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Kenlofarms
Beginner
Beginner

Re: The Renovation Blues

Post by Kenlofarms » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am

BlondeD, this is off subject but if you are looking for a new tenant i can be reached at kenlofarms@gmail.com.

Kenlofarms
Registered and Commercials
Red Angus
and Red Baldies.

BlondeD
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BlondeD » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 am

.....I've got a small herd started back. Will carry on and hopefully retire from my "real" job and have things back on the tracks.....in a few years..??!!! Thanks..

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Post by Lazy M » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 am

BlondeD wrote:.....Asking for thoughts on seeding in any clovers this fall or early winter. I'm spot spraying now....trying to finish up before August 1 and let any residues from the chemicals fade out. 4 months should be enough (according to labels), but with the heavy weed infestation I've been fighting, I might want to go through another year before putting clovers and $$ back in.
Any thoughts are welcome.......

Whenever you're ready to reintroduce clover, I'd consider broadcasting some clover seed late winter/early spring and let the freeze/thaw cycle work it into the ground.

BlondeD
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BlondeD » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 am

..............Another question/thoughts on this ongoing project. The broad top of the hill above the old pond that received the residue/muck from the clean- out remains a problem. This summer was thick with Johnson grass, horse nettle, goat weed and crab grass. I drill in a summer cover crop early to try and crowd out this stuff and focused on the broadleaf control with sprays. That left the crabgrass, Johnsongrass and many other grassy weeds going into fall. The cows grazed it down close and I mowed the remainder close also and moved the herd to their stockpiled areas. The problem area is almost bare now with only sparse root bundles, etc holding against erosion. I was thinking of drilling in Alfagraze product with RR traits, then continue to hit the emerging weeds throughout the summer with Round-up and/or 2-4 D where needed in spots....??? Then in early fall.....if the weeds are under some "control", re-establish the area in the novel fescues, orchardgrass and clovers. Thoughts......???? And when to start with the alfalfa??? And there will be a soil sample run as soon as we dry out a little. Thanks