Another reason to spray........

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Another reason to spray........

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:32 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Chopping it down won't kill it. The root has to be dug up or kill by spraying.

Chopping it down and pouring roundup on the base/stump seems to be working well here....

BJB - Actually, I'm surprised that works. I thought roundup was systemic and needed leaf activity to draw chemical down into the root system. If it works, great.
Hubby used to recommend on really tough root systems to wait until bloom, cut down, let regrow, then spray. (like Jerusalem Artichoke weed)
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:28 am

A.J. wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:What i'm calling hogweed must not be hogweed.

I wonder if you're thinking about pigweed? It's got little stickers on it. We get quite a bit of pigweed in the sacrifice areas where we have fed out hay in the winter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spiny+p ... GoCi4igM_M:

I've seen that stuff around.

What i'm talking about is known around here as hogweed. Maybe a common hogweed? Gets up to ten feet tall. Has deep green leaves and a green stalk. The leave has three points and kind rolls around into each. Leaf about the size of my hand.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Chopping it down won't kill it. The root has to be dug up or kill by spraying.

Chopping it down and pouring roundup on the base/stump seems to be working well here....

BJB - Actually, I'm surprised that works. I thought roundup was systemic and needed leaf activity to draw chemical down into the root system. If it works, great.
Hubby used to recommend on really tough root systems to wait until bloom, cut down, let regrow, then spray. (like Jerusalem Artichoke weed)
That works good as I had a strip of blackberry briers, I kinda hated to have killed, as the berries every year were good, but once I sprayed the regrowth it killed the whole patch slick as a ribbon.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 am

ClinchValley wrote:
A.J. wrote:

I wonder if you're thinking about pigweed? It's got little stickers on it. We get quite a bit of pigweed in the sacrifice areas where we have fed out hay in the winter.

What i'm talking about is known around here as hogweed. Maybe a common hogweed? Gets up to ten feet tall. Has deep green leaves and a green stalk. The leave has three points and kind rolls around into each. Leaf about the size of my hand.

Sounds possibly like Giant Ragweed
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am

ClinchValley wrote:
A.J. wrote:

Could be blood weed
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am

hurleyjd wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:
A.J. wrote:

Could be blood weed

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinN ... ia+trifida
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:

I used this method when clearing/killing established oriental bittersweet vines. Round Up (gly) works well and does get absorbed into the stump. Go full strength though on the Round Up.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:34 pm

ClinchValley wrote:
A.J. wrote:

I am thinking that what is being called pigweed is what we call hogweeds around here, it grows a lot in areas where I have fed hay and also in some other bare spots around pond banks. It will sure eat you up if you grab hold of it or walk through it in short britches.
We have some of that 8 or 10 ft tall stuff too, heard it called many names, think it is wild parsnip, but some call it elephant weed, horse weed, snake weed etc.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”