“FREE” Hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: “FREE” Hay

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 am

callmefence wrote:Very generous jmj. With so many without rain you can probably save someone.
We are in dire straights. We lost 17 acres of our first cutting due to a unfortunate accident. And it hasn't rained enough to count since. To bad Georgia is so far.
I've been successful in trading some fence for enough Milo to get by. In fact I can probably hook up anyone around with the farmer raising it. There's about 400 acres of it. He's gonna bale what gets spoken for. Can deal directly with him. Good honest man.

Fwiw. A semi load should be about 32 rolls. There's no way I can see getting it from Georgia to Texas at 20.00 a roll frieght.

It will be closer to 80.00 a roll based on some freight loads I have moved recently but everything is a negotiation.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:47 am

Nice guy, thinking about others...most people are about me me me me. Those 4x6 rolls are big heavy rolls and it might be worth it to somebody to save their herd another year. Some people have transportation their-selves or can get it hauled at a good rate.
1 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:47 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Been thinking about the ones of y’all that are having drought problems. We’ve been getting more than our share of rain here and grass is good. Most of you are a good ways from me. I can get some hay baled up if any of you can figure a way to make hauling feasible. It will cost me $20 (I have to pay someone else) for a 4x6 roll. You cover the $20 and freight and I will load it for free. If this will help anyone and you can make it work let me know. I can probably come up with 200-300 rolls maybe more depending on the rain.

I’m in middle Georgia.

You'd make a mighty fine neighbor. Blessings. :nod:
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 am

TexasBred wrote:You'd make a mighty fine neighbor. Blessings. :nod:

I agree! Your offer is how things are supposed to be.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am

Texasmark wrote:You guys have blown me away trying to understand the gibberish, code, whatever it is.

Apparently those in charge are so sensitive that certain arrangements of letters cause them great strife - to the point they need to change another adults word usage.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Texasmark wrote:You guys have blown me away trying to understand the gibberish, code, whatever it is.

JMJ I have a central Texas www friend who asked me about some. Will forward this to him. Very kind of you sir.

On freight, a 48' trailer will hold 8 pairs plus 7 on top for 23 rolls. At $20 to purchase and $20 to ship that's $40 a roll for about 1200# of hay, a very reasonable price for someone in dire straights. 1200x23 = 26k#, not a weight problem.

No code to it. That's just the way ol' "Dash" talks (types). :lol: :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:

Apparently those in charge are so sensitive that certain arrangements of letters cause them great strife - to the point they need to change another adults word usage.

I think it's okay to say Fire Ants. Not sure why he changed it to P I S S.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 pm

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:Very generous jmj. With so many without rain you can probably save someone.
We are in dire straights. We lost 17 acres of our first cutting due to a unfortunate accident. And it hasn't rained enough to count since. To bad Georgia is so far.
I've been successful in trading some fence for enough Milo to get by. In fact I can probably hook up anyone around with the farmer raising it. There's about 400 acres of it. He's gonna bale what gets spoken for. Can deal directly with him. Good honest man.

Fwiw. A semi load should be about 32 rolls. There's no way I can see getting it from Georgia to Texas at 20.00 a roll frieght.

It will be closer to 80.00 a roll based on some freight loads I have moved recently but everything is a negotiation.

Since I did this I was thinking you could double up and add another 7 for 30. If he has his own rig that would help immensely. I don't know what the loaded mile rate is these days for commercial haulers. Haven't looked up the distance. Just a thought.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the gracious comments. I try to be a good neighbor. Like I said earlier I’ve been here before but probably not quite as bad as most are this year. My area has just been blessed with rain and I pretty much have what I need to get through the winter and have access to several hayfields around bc everybody here has plenty. Like I told Dash earlier in a PM, I hope if I ever find myself in a tight spot that I couldn’t do anything about that someone would be willing to help me. Just wish I wasn’t so far away.

Fence and Texasmark, my best guess on freight to central Texas would be around $2500-3000 on a semi load. I can put 32 maybe 34 on a 48’ but I don’t know about all the DOT rules and regs and permits. Like Dash said, freight may be negotiable.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 am

M-5 wrote:http://www.texasagriculture.gov/Home/ProductionAgriculture/HayHotline.aspx

This is the one that we have. Can't believe it's edible and good?????????

http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/07/bull-nettle.html

On the subject of edibles, who would think that somebody got curious about this nuisance and decided to eat it. Every time I am around something known to be edible in the wild, I wonder how far back somebody took the chance and ate it? How many Toadstools took their toll before people realized a Toadstool in the wild wasn't a Mushroom?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”