Pond algae

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
jgibson
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:13 am

Pond algae

Postby jgibson » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:14 pm

We have a pond in pasture that has developed an algae problem. Any recommendations for livestock safe cures.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7065
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Have you got a source of electricity nearby? If so, you could try an aerator. We used to use them where I used to work, they worked decently.
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby sstterry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 pm

jgibson wrote:We have a pond in pasture that has developed an algae problem. Any recommendations for livestock safe cures.


Pond Dye. It will kill the algae within a few weeks and is not a chemical. Copper Sulfate also works but the Dye is more natural and kills it without harming cattle or fish (think food coloring).

FYI algae grows from the bottom and the dye cuts off the sunlight it needs to survive.

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby LDEnterprises » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 am

sstterry wrote:
jgibson wrote:We have a pond in pasture that has developed an algae problem. Any recommendations for livestock safe cures.


Pond Dye. It will kill the algae within a few weeks and is not a chemical. Copper Sulfate also works but the Dye is more natural and kills it without harming cattle or fish (think food coloring).

FYI algae grows from the bottom and the dye cuts off the sunlight it needs to survive.


We've used copper sulfate in the past with great success.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby Texasmark » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 am

Lots of cures for pond problems.....dig deep to pay for them. I know. I spent around $1600 for 2 ea 25# buckets of Coon Tail Moss and other baddies pelletized remedy.....geez, I still can't believe I did that....must have been really desperate. One cure is keep field fertilizers out of the water. Wink! Now let's have super pastures and implement that one. Daaaaaaa. I started using "Blue Bayou" dye this year. Super stuff, easily obtainable, and price is affordable.

One thing to remember this time of year, for those of us in a drought, is that the pond levels are low and things look much worse than they really are. I'm down over 2'. Things not looking good for fish survival this year.

Other thing is I have killed, in several years, over 150 bass, some "Hogs" (I counted and smelled them) and 5+# Channel cats trying to control my pond weeds. Not over that yet.

Good luck.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 am

Wheat and barley straw being used for algae controls several university studies on this method and here is one.


https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs1171/

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:51 am

Yep barley straw. Gold fish and ducks also help

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am

Texasmark wrote:Lots of cures for pond problems.....dig deep to pay for them. I know. I spent around $1600 for 2 ea 25# buckets of Coon Tail Moss and other baddies pelletized remedy.....geez, I still can't believe I did that....must have been really desperate. One cure is keep field fertilizers out of the water. Wink! Now let's have super pastures and implement that one. Daaaaaaa. I started using "Blue Bayou" dye this year. Super stuff, easily obtainable, and price is affordable.

One thing to remember this time of year, for those of us in a drought, is that the pond levels are low and things look much worse than they really are. I'm down over 2'. Things not looking good for fish survival this year.

Other thing is I have killed, in several years, over 150 bass, some "Hogs" (I counted and smelled them) and 5+# Channel cats trying to control my pond weeds. Not over that yet.

Good luck.

Can I fish in your pond?

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3211
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am

We had blue green algae in our watershed lake a little over a month ago and got a quote from PondScript for the dye:
Blue Seasonal, MAP price $45.99, Sunlight Seasonal Colorant (4x) $15,636.60
Black Seasonal, MAP price $49.99, Sunlight Seasonal Colorant (4x) $16,996.60
Blue & Bio Pond Cleaner, Seasonal Prevention (4x) $31,273.20 or Sunlight & Nutrient Management (6x) $46,909.80
Black & Bio Pond Cleaner, Seasonal Prevention (4x) $32,633.20 or Sunlight & Nutrient Management (6x) $48,949.80

It's a 60 acre watershed but the quote was only for 43 acres (what we own), I have no clue why. Doesn't matter, though, because no way were we paying that much so we ended up having a fence built with 2 gates so we can completely shut off access to the lake. It's a primary source of water for the cattle but they have a pond, creeks & a fountain at the barn until the algae clears (or moves to the north/neighbors side of the lake).

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17063
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm

How many gallons per ac/ft of the blue stuff do you need?
Does the Blue Bayou work just as well as any other blue treatment?
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3629
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:53 pm

IT IS NOT LABELED FOR AQUATIC USE, but, 1 qt diuron per surface acre of water will get rid of the vast majority of pond weed problems.
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:59 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:IT IS NOT LABELED FOR AQUATIC USE, but, 1 qt diuron per surface acre of water will get rid of the vast majority of pond weed problems.


I would be careful with that Michael.
H302 (100%): Harmful if swallowed [Warning Acute toxicity, oral]
H351 (100%): Suspected of causing cancer [Warning Carcinogenicity]
H373 (99.81%): Causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure [Warning Specific target organ toxicity, repeated exposure]
H400 (97.5%): Very toxic to aquatic life [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, acute hazard]
H410 (100%): Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard]

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Pond algae

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:04 pm

greybeard wrote:How many gallons per ac/ft of the blue stuff do you need?
Does the Blue Bayou work just as well as any other blue treatment?

Here is what I used this year:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pond-Logic-Pond-Dye-Packets/292513635216?hash=item441b2bdb90%3Am%3Am5ZVgKqdLs2XHCgphd3fjiQ&var=591345655553&_sacat=0&_nkw=pond+dye&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpond+dye.TRS0

Two packs for $28 treats up to 1 surface acre pond, 4-6 ft avg depth. I used the packs this year because the liquid stuff will stain teribly even from the droplets that splash back. Harmless, but annoying.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17063
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm

sstterry wrote:
greybeard wrote:How many gallons per ac/ft of the blue stuff do you need?
Does the Blue Bayou work just as well as any other blue treatment?

Here is what I used this year:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pond-Logic-Pond-Dye-Packets/292513635216?hash=item441b2bdb90%3Am%3Am5ZVgKqdLs2XHCgphd3fjiQ&var=591345655553&_sacat=0&_nkw=pond+dye&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpond+dye.TRS0

Two packs for $28 treats up to 1 surface acre pond, 4-6 ft avg depth. I used the packs this year because the liquid stuff will stain teribly even from the droplets that splash back. Harmless, but annoying.

Thanks.
Cheap enough!
(I know all about the liquid blue bayou stuff's stains. I've used it to color my herbicide mix..it just about has to wear off)
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3629
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Re: Pond algae

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:09 pm

sstterry wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:IT IS NOT LABELED FOR AQUATIC USE, but, 1 qt diuron per surface acre of water will get rid of the vast majority of pond weed problems.


I would be careful with that Michael.
H302 (100%): Harmful if swallowed [Warning Acute toxicity, oral]
H351 (100%): Suspected of causing cancer [Warning Carcinogenicity]
H373 (99.81%): Causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure [Warning Specific target organ toxicity, repeated exposure]
H400 (97.5%): Very toxic to aquatic life [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, acute hazard]
H410 (100%): Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard]


I don’t use Diuron. Don’t have any problems in any of my ponds. Not yet anyway. However I do know people that do use it. And it does work. And I’ve never known of any fish kills. I suspect a lot of this crap we use may increase our risk of cancers. I guess I should have stayed in my original post that I don’t necessarily condone off label usage of herbicides but I didn’t. However I would be lying if I said that I’ve never used a herbicide in such a way to be off label. But I have :hide:
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson