Pond algae

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pond algae

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:IT IS NOT LABELED FOR AQUATIC USE, but, 1 qt diuron per surface acre of water will get rid of the vast majority of pond weed problems.

There have been several threads about Karmex/diuron over at PondBoss website and most strongly advise against the stuff.

I know there's a big difference between surface area and ac/ft, but that seems like an awful lot of chmical mix to use. When EPA gives a variance to use it on catfish ponds, the instructions are:

According to the EPA, the diuron products may be applied on commercial levee-contained catfish ponds by pouring a pre-mixed slurry from a bucket directly into the pond on the outflow side of the operating aerator. The approved application rate is 0.5 ounce of product, or 0.4 ounce active ingredient, per acre-foot, every seven days, not to exceed nine applications per year.
https://www.deltafarmpress.com/epa-appr ... fish-ponds
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Trying to be politically correct stinks and cost money. I like using what works for the job I'm doing. We have crabgrass problems in a hayfield so I asked the grass professional at UGA what to uses. He told me his recommendation and I told him what was recommended to me to use by a sod farm. Dr Hancock said what I was told will work better but it's off label for hayfields. Crazy stuff if you ask me.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Hope you do not mind but I posted this a while back and simply copied it over to provide some potential solutions for you:

Fence the pond.

Buy a wind mill with a pump to aerate the pond. Or if you do not have enough wind, use a solar air pump. Put that hose in to the pond and let it lay on the bottom. That will improve the water quality over time and clear up the water. If it is a large pond you might consider using more than one aerator.

Put an additional line in the pond - suspend the end (intake) do not lay it on the bottom to prevent mud from being sucked in - you can use a couple of big plastic bottles as floats - use this as the intake to the water troughs that your cattle will use. Pump the water to the troughs. We used wind mills as we had enough wind to do the job but again, you can use solar or something similar.

Provide a gravity flow return line to the pond from the troughs so the trough does not overflow and create a mud bog around the troughs.

It is simple and it works. We did this for more than 30 years. I was by the old home place a while back and the new owners are still using the same system.

My best.
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:48 am

JMJ Farms wrote: I suspect a lot of this crap we use may increase our risk of cancers.

My father who taught Physics, Chemistry, Shop, and Agriculture over his career repeatedly told me he was surprised that my sister and I did not have birth defects because of all of the chemicals he handled over the years, not knowing the dangers. Also, I can remember having access to the school Chemistry Lab when I was very small and him getting out a bottle of mercury and telling us to put in in our hands to shine dimes with it! God only knows how I have lived this long!
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:12 am

sstterry wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote: I suspect a lot of this crap we use may increase our risk of cancers.

My father who taught Physics, Chemistry, Shop, and Agriculture over his career repeatedly told me he was surprised that my sister and I did not have birth defects because of all of the chemicals he handled over the years, not knowing the dangers. Also, I can remember having access to the school Chemistry Lab when I was very small and him getting out a bottle of mercury and telling us to put in in our hands to shine dimes with it! God only knows how I have lived this long!

You and your sister are living proof that the left is looney. Scare tactics work on the weak and meek, excellent money grab.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:55 am

sstterry wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Lots of cures for pond problems.....dig deep to pay for them. I know. I spent around $1600 for 2 ea 25# buckets of Coon Tail Moss and other baddies pelletized remedy.....geez, I still can't believe I did that....must have been really desperate. One cure is keep field fertilizers out of the water. Wink! Now let's have super pastures and implement that one. Daaaaaaa. I started using "Blue Bayou" dye this year. Super stuff, easily obtainable, and price is affordable.

One thing to remember this time of year, for those of us in a drought, is that the pond levels are low and things look much worse than they really are. I'm down over 2'. Things not looking good for fish survival this year.

Other thing is I have killed, in several years, over 150 bass, some "Hogs" (I counted and smelled them) and 5+# Channel cats trying to control my pond weeds. Not over that yet.

Good luck.

Can I fish in your pond?

Years ago wife was doing community work at the local town. Was a member of the Garden Club. One day she decides to take a picture of my catfish (at the time half a dozen, around 5-6#), eating their floating food and post it on the local community gossip column. I don't need to tell you what happened as a result of that.
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:30 am

Texasmark wrote:Years ago wife was doing community work at the local town. Was a member of the Garden Club. One day she decides to take a picture of my catfish (at the time half a dozen, around 5-6#), eating their floating food and post it on the local community gossip column. I don't need to tell you what happened as a result of that.

At one time my brother would fish Monticello and bring back the large channels and release them into our tank. We had a ton of minnows and perch for food and he would also feed them. After a few years we watched them grow into some really nice fish and he allowed a friend of his in just for catch and release. That one guy told some people about the fish and it just blew up from there. Big fish stories get out really quick.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:55 pm

I quit trying to raise catfish as I have Florida strain Largemouth Bass and they love baby cats. Somehow, after 40 years, and I'm at the top of a hill so they didn't come from up stream, I got invaded by mud bugs.....mud cats. Just has to be something to the thing about coming in on Heron's feet. They were hot for a couple of years and today I think one's left, of 10-12". Not something you would put on your plate so I guess Bass, Herons and Turtles got them.

Even when I thought the Bass were gone, I've noticed a couple still around at 12-14" and no telling how many fry are still around coming on up. Only thing to do, if wanting cats is "drain the swamp" and restock with cats only with a feeding program.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
sstterry wrote:

You and your sister are living proof that the left is looney. Scare tactics work on the weak and meek, excellent money grab.

No dad is looney....he and sis are lucky as he//. Lotta folks have died from mercury poisoning.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:01 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Years ago wife was doing community work at the local town. Was a member of the Garden Club. One day she decides to take a picture of my catfish (at the time half a dozen, around 5-6#), eating their floating food and post it on the local community gossip column. I don't need to tell you what happened as a result of that.

At one time my brother would fish Monticello and bring back the large channels and release them into our tank. We had a ton of minnows and perch for food and he would also feed them. After a few years we watched them grow into some really nice fish and he allowed a friend of his in just for catch and release. That one guy told some people about the fish and it just blew up from there. Big fish stories get out really quick.

I only fished Monticello a couple of times. Funny, the second time I was checked by the local Game Warden. Only been checked 5 times in my entire life, twice by the same warden working Tawakoni, both times hunting. I just wanted to see what Monticello was like and drove over there.

I almost bought property in Emory before I found out the Lignite folks had an easement on the place and I didn't want to live every day wondering when the pendulum would drop. Wanted to get close to Fork. Glad it didn't work out. I bought this place instead and not sorry...been 40 years.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:42 am

Texasmark wrote:I quit trying to raise catfish as I have Florida strain Largemouth Bass and they love baby cats. Somehow, after 40 years, and I'm at the top of a hill so they didn't come from up stream, I got invaded by mud bugs.....mud cats. Just has to be something to the thing about coming in on Heron's feet. They were hot for a couple of years and today I think one's left, of 10-12". Not something you would put on your plate so I guess Bass, Herons and Turtles got them.

Even when I thought the Bass were gone, I've noticed a couple still around at 12-14" and no telling how many fry are still around coming on up. Only thing to do, if wanting cats is "drain the swamp" and restock with cats only with a feeding program.

If you have any cover in there at all, you'll never get rid of all the bass.
You can trotline most of the mud cats out but you have to stay with it..or invite the local scout troop to come out and camp and keep the mudcats on stringers till you getthere to 'dispose of them.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”