hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16695
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby greybeard » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am

Time to put out hi mag loose mineral here, but I'm looking after a horse that's in with some of my cows. Will it hurt the horse?
(I haven't bought the mineral yet so I can't tell you what ingredients or what % each is right now)
Suggestions?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:11 am

IMHO, the horse will be fine. Urea or rumensin, would be a deal breaker.

My mineral formulated for horses has no magnesium. I have often made a mental note of that.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3887
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:56 pm

I have a high mag mineral only (urea, rumensin or any) and on the label it gives a horse doseage, hope it is OK, Pam is giving it to her beloved steed.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby bird dog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Off topic a bit but a quick question. Is there a sensible way to add Magnesium to your existing mineral? I buy my mineral by the ton but only want the hi mag for just a few weeks a year.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 am

Adding Epsom salts to it would add Magnesium and would be palatable, but it's a bit bitter, and if you're looking to up it to 10% Mg, it might take a fair bit.. On the bright side, it wouldn't take meticulous mixing since it's a macromineral, and it's probably what's in the high-mag anyhow.. Epsom salts are readily available in 50 lb bags from chemical suppliers too..
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3887
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 am

Yes, I am sure it is MgSo4 (epsom salt) that is used in the high mag minerals. Where I am the manufactures use copra meal with it as the sweetener. They like repeat sales so are quick to respond to make product more palatable if there is an issue when it is not being consumed.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Yes, I am sure it is MgSo4 (epsom salt) that is used in the high mag minerals. Where I am the manufactures use copra meal with it as the sweetener. They like repeat sales so are quick to respond to make product more palatable if there is an issue when it is not being consumed.

Ken

Don't know about down under Ken but here most companies use Mag-Ox as the magnesium source.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3887
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Yes, I am sure it is MgSo4 (epsom salt) that is used in the high mag minerals. Where I am the manufactures use copra meal with it as the sweetener. They like repeat sales so are quick to respond to make product more palatable if there is an issue when it is not being consumed.

Ken

Don't know about down under Ken but here most companies use Mag-Ox as the magnesium source.

Probably the case here too TB now that you mention it, I did not look at the label but I know it needs something to sweeten it up a bit and my immediate thought was a horrible taste from epsom salts.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16695
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby greybeard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:13 am

Are you talking about magnesium oxide?
surely not.......by itself, it's not very soluble.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 pm

greybeard wrote:Are you talking about magnesium oxide?
surely not.......by itself, it's not very soluble.

But it contains 55-60% magnesium compared to barely 20% for mag. sulfate. Neither taste very good so need something added to give it some palatability.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

Bigfoot wrote:IMHO, the horse will be fine. Urea or rumensin, would be a deal breaker.

My mineral formulated for horses has no magnesium. I have often made a mental note of that.

https://performanceequinenutrition.com/ ... superhero/
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 am

bird dog wrote:Off topic a bit but a quick question. Is there a sensible way to add Magnesium to your existing mineral? I buy my mineral by the ton but only want the hi mag for just a few weeks a year.

Switch to a Hi Mag non medicated cattle mineral. Won't hurt a thing.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Horse Care”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest