What can this be?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
tg
Cowhand
Cowhand

What can this be?

Postby tg » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:59 pm

This is all around my horse mouth. sorry the picture is not clear.
0 x

Muratic
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Muratic » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 pm

No picture at all pal.
0 x
Cows may come
and cows may go,

but the BULL in this
place never ends.

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 pm

no pic here either. could it be grass?
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

tg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:42 am

try again.

0 x

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

What Could This Be?

Postby Just_a_girl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:03 pm

tg,

Did you trim around your horse's mouth recently?
0 x

tg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:04 pm

No I did not do anything it just popped up and started spreeding. it does not seem to be getting any worse but not going away.
0 x

Cindy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cindy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:28 pm

While you don't give the age of the horse it appears to be warts if the horse is a yearling they will go away on there own . this is caused by a virus. there is nothing you can do about it just let it be. If the horse is older I would look into a possable clover reaction as the animal has a pink nose and it could be sun burnt. in this case i would use diaper rash med. for it and give her shelter from the sun.
0 x

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

What Can This Be?

Postby Just_a_girl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:49 pm

I was wondering if you had trimmed.

We have 5 horses, I trimmed 2 and a few days later those 2 had sores around nose and mouth, where I had trimmed. Was told that sores were due to a close trim and heavy dew on grass.

I just kept sores clean and applied thick amounts of ointment to keep sores from splitting and give relief, the sores quickly disappeared. I never had any problems before, but I'm very careful with clippers now. I keep clippers clean after each use, and have new blades handy......no more problems here.

The sores around my horse's mouth did not spread.

I also have a bald face paint and his nose tends to sunburn, I keep sunblock on him because he rips his face mask off and drops it in the pond. Putting on sunblock is a lot better than taking a dip in a nasty pond to get his face mask.

Hope you figure it out....
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:08 pm

i cant really tell anything by that picture. looks like he/she got into some fireants while grazing. sunburn would be peeling and flaking off. could be warts.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

fellersbarnoneranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby fellersbarnoneranch » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:42 pm

Doesn't look really different (from the picture) from a sunburn. I notice the horse is light where he appears blistered. Just a thought. I have a mare that burns that way
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:03 pm

Do I see wart like bumps around the nostrils? If so, it does not look like sunburn to me, I may be wrong, never saw anything like this before. How bout the problem the have had in Texas, running bill?

Alan
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:37 pm

ive never seen sunburn look like that on a horse. at work we had a horse that was blind in one eye and he got into fireants and they got all over his blind side and he looked like that. but i'm leaning toward warts for some reason even though i cant see them good and have never even seen warts on a horse..
0 x

fellersbarnoneranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby fellersbarnoneranch » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:03 pm

If I can remember i will take a picture next spring/early summer. This may be something different, but looks quite similar. Did not notice it on the chin and lower lip. My mare doesn't burn there. Anyhow...hope you report back to us after seeing your vet! thanks!
0 x

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:18 pm

I'd definitely talk to a vet-- I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed--Vesicular Stomatitis is spreading thruout the country... The symptoms of it are excessive slobbering, then blisterlike lesions that develop on the tongue, lips, nose, or genital area....And it is contagious and requires quarantine.....
0 x
Lazy Bar B Angus on Facebook

Brandonm2
GURU
GURU

Postby Brandonm2 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:05 pm

"I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed"

Same here. The redness bothers me more than the growths themselves. The fire ant theory makes some sense (though I have grazed horses and donkeys in fire ant infested pastures for years and never seen lesions exactly like that and never that bad. I hate to call a vet; but this looks like one of those times.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”