What can this be?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
tg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:30 am

Brandonm2 wrote:"I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed"

Same here. The redness bothers me more than the growths themselves. The fire ant theory makes some sense (though I have grazed horses and donkeys in fire ant infested pastures for years and never seen lesions exactly like that and never that bad. I hate to call a vet; but this looks like one of those times.

Thanks all, my Vet was out of town on Vacation when I posted this, he is back now and I am out of town when I get back I will bring her in and let you all know what the case is

Thanks again.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:02 pm

if they still look like that its probably not fire ants. or sunburn either if its not peeling yet.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

J
Rancher
Rancher

Postby J » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:22 am

My guess is warts, if so they will run their course, but you should probably have the vet give you a real diagnoses not an opinion like mine.
0 x

A6gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What Could This Be

Postby A6gal » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:53 am

Just wondering, did you ever get a diagnosis regarding the blisters on your horses nose?

I had a horse several months back that had a similiar problem, I just figured he'd gotten into fireants or into some bull nettle. I put some fura ointment on it and it cleared up after a couple weeks.
0 x

Utah
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Utah » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:42 am

If it is not getting worse, maybe it is from some eating around some type of weed. My dog got sores like this but not so many or as large. I figured it was the thistle that she was in a while back. Just a thought...
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:23 am

Vesicular Stomatitis is spreading thruout the country

First thing that ran through my mind when I saw the picture.

What was the vet's diagnosis?
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Scotty
GURU
GURU

Postby Scotty » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:50 pm

Out of ignorance. Can a horse get sourmouth. That kind of looks like the last case I saw.

Scotty
0 x
TSCRA Member
AAA Member

Scotty
GURU
GURU

Postby Scotty » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 pm

My wife wants to know if the gums are inflamed. She says she has seen herpes but usually the gums are swollen and inflamed.

Scotty
0 x
TSCRA Member

AAA Member

THECowGirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby THECowGirl » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:12 pm

definatly warts.

One of my grandpas halflingers has them and he uses compound W on them. The vet will have something safer to use on the nose and mouth though Id think.
0 x

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:09 pm

Just as another precautionary measure: Leave your clippers in the box. Horses don't NEED to have their faces and ears clipped (unless perhaps a requirement?? for a show). They do quite well on their own for thousands of years without going to the beauty shop. ;-)
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

fellersbarnoneranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby fellersbarnoneranch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:11 pm

Running Arrow Bill wrote: Horses don't NEED to have their faces and ears clipped (unless perhaps a requirement?? for a show). They do quite well on their own for thousands of years without going to the beauty shop. ;-)

Bill, I have a filly that would disagree :D Silly thing LOVES to get her face and ears trimmed (especially the ears) Her brother is almost as fond of clippers (He prefers worming day over all others, though)

Did we never get a vet's opinion on this one?
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”