worming schedule

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:48 am

flaboy+ wrote:
cowspider wrote:
I'll worm her for 3 months in a row, switching each time. Then I'll worm her every 4 months.

Be careful !! you may make her sick, with too much wormer.
ONCE every 3 months NOT once a month for 3 months.

I am looking at a 10 month old stallion and the current owner told me "he has been wormed every month since birth". Forgive my ignorance but is this normal considering it is FLA? Back when I had them we wormed about three times a year. What has changed? Appreciate any input as I am getting started with horses again.

If he has truly been wormed every month since birth that is too much, I would worm him every four months now. Also find out what kind of wormer he uses. Hopfully he has been rotating wormers, if not don't use that type (active indgrediant) for a year or so. There are many brands of wormers, but I believe there are only 4 types of wormers (?) Maybe 3 (?) I'll try to look that up for you.

Are you planning to geld this horse?

Alan
0 x

cowspider
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowspider » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 am

I am looking at a 10 month old stallion and the current owner told me "he has been wormed every month since birth". Forgive my ignorance but is this normal considering it is FLA? Back when I had them we wormed about three times a year. What has changed? Appreciate any input as I am getting started with horses again.

I do not know if florida has a larger worm problem than most states but worming every month is still too much. worms will grow resistent plus it could be toxic to a very young horse. It could be he is only giving a small dose each month and this will not help but build resistents.
0 x
"GET-ER DONE"

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:29 am

Alan wrote:look that up for you.

Are you planning to geld this horse?

Alan

Not initially. I have four mares lined up that the folks want to bred to this guy already. My last cow horse was a stallion also. I did have him cut a 8 years old after one to many fights while I was on him. He was a very good cow horse when by himself but did not play well with others.
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.
flaboy

Return to “Horse Care”