sprung mare

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
rngr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rngr » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:37 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. Alan, I think once I get back from out of town this coming week I will start her on her program (after a vet visit). She use to be a CTR horse in her younger years so she really is a great ride and is awsome on the trails. I just don't have the time to take her to the trails enough. When we ride around the place its usually for 30 mins to an hour or so a couple times a month.

I think that I will print off this page so I can use it for quick reference.

Alan what do you mean alfalfa will make them hot and maybe nuts?
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:46 pm

rngr,

If a horse is hot it means they get to be or are high energy and harder to handle like a child on a real sugar high. I compare alfala to Jet fuel some things can handle it and perform normal, like jets, some can't and are higher strung and harder to handle... Alfafa is somtimes like putting jet fuel in a go-cart. But if she gets hot just cut back the alfafa some and add more grass. Just do all feed changes slowly. Horses and cattle won't get as much of a hay belly on alfafa and it will put weight on quicker than feild hay.

Good luck, let me know how it goes, it sounds like a challenge I would love.

Alan
0 x

rngr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rngr » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Alan,

Thats what I thought you mean't but wanted to make sure. I am going to go to work on her in a couple of weeks when things slow down for me. I will let ya know how it goes.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”