Clicky Hip

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
WestieGirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Clicky Hip

Postby WestieGirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:50 pm

My 6 year old QH gelding has had a clicky hip, since I bought him 3 years ago...His right hip clicks when I am riding and only then. I never have heard it when he is out in the pasture, and the only time it clicks is when we are walking and never during any other gaits. But also the clicking doesn't happen everytime I ride, but other then being kinda annoying to me, it doesn't bother him in any way inhibiting his movement or anything..he does everything that he should. Im not really concerned about it cause well it doesn't bother him, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this sorta thing happen with a horse before and if it was ever found out what it was causing; what I like to call my step counter!?
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Many horses click when they walk, it's part of getting older, I have three that do it. While 6 is still young it's not too young for this to start. My knees and ankles will pop/ click in the mornings when I walk. If he is not lame and not bothered by it it's nothing to worry about. Horse that were/are more active younger will start to click sooner in life.

Alan
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:53 pm

We've had several over the years that did that. Was never a problem for them or us.
0 x

tapeworm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tapeworm » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:11 am

Alan wrote:Many horses click when they walk, it's part of getting older, I have three that do it. While 6 is still young it's not too young for this to start. My knees and ankles will pop/ click in the mornings when I walk. If he is not lame and not bothered by it it's nothing to worry about. Horse that were/are more active younger will start to click sooner in life.

Alan
LOL Alan..I make lots of noise in the mornings to..Im alwasy glad to hear mine popping and clicking...at least that means there still moving
0 x

J
Rancher
Rancher

Postby J » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:16 am

tapeworm wrote:
Alan wrote:Many horses click when they walk, it's part of getting older, I have three that do it. While 6 is still young it's not too young for this to start. My knees and ankles will pop/ click in the mornings when I walk. If he is not lame and not bothered by it it's nothing to worry about. Horse that were/are more active younger will start to click sooner in life.

Alan
LOL Alan..I make lots of noise in the mornings to..Im alwasy glad to hear mine popping and clicking...at least that means there still moving

Thought maybe you'd left us tape? Good to see you on here again, or maybe I've just been missing your posts. anyways... :D
0 x
“There are people who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing”.

tapeworm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tapeworm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:20 am

Hello J..thank you very much..just 1st 1 thing and then another. Always plenty of work to do seems like. Guess after Christmas blues might ahve made me antisocial for a while...kids would say whats new. LOL Maybe some truth?? Anyhow I miss you folks and alwasy plan on checking in more often..just never works out. Thank you again for noticing J..nice to be missed :oops:
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”