Caslick removal

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Caslick removal

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm dealing with my first caslick, I spoke with my Vet and they suggested removing it about 30 days before foaling. My mare is noterious for foaling early. My wife says 30 days, I'm thinking more like 45.

Any thoughts or experiance with casliks.

Thanks,
Alan
0 x

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:42 am

Alan, pardon my ignorance but I thought Caslick was an operation to correct a problem. What are you removing?
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.
flaboy

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:30 am

A caslick is where they use a local and cut the skin off the Vagina opening and stitch the two sides together. This causes the vagina to grow together and ramain close while the horse is in foal, they leave enough of an opening to allow the horse to urinate. It's done because some horse have a vigina the pertudes out enough that fecal matter will set there and allow bacteria into the womb causing an abortion of the foal. It's either a conformation fault or most brood mares after time get bigger hipped and looser parts.

Since this post I have reasearch my question and got a satifactory answer. My concern was that to open up the vigina again (remove the caslick) was a minor surgery and was 30 days enough to heal before foaling. I'm convinced that because the vet is cutting through scar tissue 30 days (even 2 weeks) is plenty of time to heal and you don't have the risk of an infection to the womb. But you do need to clean the new surgery area for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Alan
0 x

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 am

Ah ha, like I said pardon my ignorance. I wasn't reading it right. I see now that the Caslick had already been done. Duh! No wonder I'm ugly. :oops:
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.

flaboy

germancowgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby germancowgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Hey people! I love to learn vokabulary that ypu cant find in dictionaries!!! Thanks allan!
0 x
Best friends to have: your horse and your dog
Best place to be: in the saddle

Return to “Horse Care”