2yo that bites

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Lammie
GURU
GURU

Re: 2yo that bites

Postby Lammie » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:18 pm

BullBucker wrote:Hi I just got a 2yo mini stud that bites, and trys to bite all the time. and it's hard to do anything with him cuz he'll bite you anywere. I'v only had him for about two weeks. he has never been worked with much. and I have never been around a horse that bites.

JP

That is why I don't have mini horses. We thought about trying to make a mini mule, but every one of them I have encountered is a biter! Must just be my luck or something. I forgot about the idea altogether.
0 x
I never trust anyone who says that they are too old to read a children's book.

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:49 pm

ok Hon-----read all advice.... read all the books---use what makes sense to you--the 3 second rule is a good one tho--Sometimes you have to find out what does/ does not work for you or the animal you are dealing with...make the bad behaviour hard work,the good behaviour easy..
0 x

mustangkoda
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mustangkoda » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:11 pm

i agree with using the riding crop. keep it on hand. a two by four on a mini is too excesive. have to remember these are little guys! 2 X 4 can break something. i've found that a sharp voice or swift kick or a riding crop works wonders with a mini. now with a full size horse is somehthing different and you may have to be a little firmer with, but minis are "small". think large dog size and no i dont mean to compare a dog to a horse just the size. the most extreem we've been to a mini is fliping it like you would a calf, don't do this on a concret floor, and then sitting on her for a couple of minutes. she got the point, our black smith did this to her when she kept striking out and my nephew did also. now he can to what ever he wants with her. for some reason the smaller the horse the more agressive they think they have to be. we have seven on our property and a firm voice is normally all they need to behave.

good luck with your stud. hopefully this is just a "learned" responce and not something he'll pass on to his offsprings.
0 x

circlet
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby circlet » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:08 pm

i guess i don't know if we should get alot of delight talking about punching animals! but most of us seem to be in agreement that common sense dictates that every once in awhile you've gotta show who's boss.

having said that, a professional "natural horsemanship" trainer friend of mine told me that in the few instances where you might punch a horse, the best way is with the back of your fist, on the corner of their mouth - like where the bit hangs out. he said it helps make sure they don't get head shy or antsy if you touch their nose (like to put on a bridle). plus, it will get their attention cause it will hurt!

my friend was taught this by probably the most famous "kindness" trainer ever, a name most all of you would know, but that i won't drop. i mention that because i think sometimes being firm or tough with a horse is important. it kind of worries me sometimes when i watch these ENTERTAINERS on tv talking about being your horses best buddy. i think there's value in the "natural" techniques, but i think it potentially creates a rider that is too concernced about doing everything right to keep their horse happy, rather than creating a reliable horse that does what it's told. when i go out to bring in pairs, i'm not out there worrying about what my horse is thinking, he'd better be working or he/she will grow a set of wheels.
0 x

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:42 pm

i smacked the be nice out of my mustang he got out once and had my donkey jack cornered and the donkey was kicking but not fast enough it was like a 9:1 ration the horse wasn't paying ateenntion and i slammed that 2x4 across his be nice it stopped him real quik
0 x

Tyler Patterson
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tyler Patterson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:47 am

BullBucker wrote:Hi I just got a 2yo mini stud that bites, and trys to bite all the time. and it's hard to do anything with him cuz he'll bite you anywere. I'v only had him for about two weeks. he has never been worked with much. and I have never been around a horse that bites.

JP

Give him a good smack when he bites you. right after he bites, or tries to bite, just smack him with your hands, reins, or something close that wond hurt him too bad, but to teach him not to bite
0 x
"If you aint first, your last!" Ricky Bobby

kscowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kscowboy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

many years ago while walking my new yearling thorobred to my house he bit the crap out of the back of my arm , and in a fit of response i belted him right in the mouth , hurt my hand , but there was never any other biting incidents from that day on. you have to establish your space and respect or you will get hurt , only takes once or twice but has to be impressive. Good Luck with the little bugger !
0 x

cowgirl08
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cowgirl08 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:48 pm

JP

Pop him under the chin every time he tries to nip. That way he learns it's a bad thing, but he doesn't grow jumpy everytime you move your hand. a friend of mine trains horses and he carries around a nail. Everytime a horse tries to bite he meets him with the nail. whatever works
0 x
The speed of life is at a gallop. Push your heels down in the stirrups and sit deep, cause your in for a long hard ride.

branDcalf
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby branDcalf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:52 am

"I got this horse to breed. and also knowing that I was going to have my hands full. I did not know he bit, but I would still got him. so I will keep him and as a stud.
he is head shy, has had no training. but he dose like a good rub."

And only if his offspring are snots you're going to geld him? Niiiiice.

"I know I have his respect."

Not if he's flippin' biting you! LOL

You know, why don't you just continue to let him drag his lead around cause you can't work with him (although him luvs you), and how about pasture-breeding everything. Do what you can to keep small children out of there and call it good.

Good grief!
0 x

tripleBfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby tripleBfarms » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm

backing will fix biting. Back him everywhere you go. Don't lead him, back him. Backing is the ultimate in submission for a horse. and make him back up, don't push him back.

When a horse gets up in the morning, he's got one of two things on his mind.....homicide or suicide!
0 x
• Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

oscar p
Rancher
Rancher

Postby oscar p » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:22 am

All due respect! Around here (Alabama) you can buy all the mini studs, you can haul for $50 to $75 bucks apiece.It dont cost a penny more to feed a good one than it does a bad one. I buy them,and casterate them and break them to a 2 wheel cart, and a wagon.In my spare time. I have 2 young kids that love it. They have 2 mini mules, 1 mini gelding,That will die here,So the kids say. I also have 4 studs here. Studs only because the signs are'nt right to cut them.They are this winters project. There's nothing wrong with keeping a stud.But keep a good one. Not a biter or kicker. Time is better spent on training them what to do, instead of breaking them from what not to do. Every one deserves a chance, but some more than others.Not looking to get an argument started. Opinions are like buttholes,everybody has one. So here's mine. :oops:
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Yes the wall analogy works. Or turn it into an electric fence.

Think about it like this.

Foals play together. They bite and kick each other for fun. If you hit him after he has bitten you, they thing, "Ooooh she got me that time, I will have to be a bit quicker next time."

So instead you are always ready before they bite. You can use whatever your elbow, your whip, your hand, some people have a nail in a piece of wood as said earlier.

But you do not hit the horse. Instead you have to be quick and when they go to bite they hit your elbow or whip or nail in the piece of wood. Let it hurt. Just like an electric fence hurts without injuring. They will stop in four or five tries.

But you must be vigilant for when they go to test you out again.

With this method they do not end up head shy.
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Postby Angus Cowman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I think the OP has probably fixed the problem one way or another seeing how the last post was 3yrs ago before someone brought it back to life
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

oscar p
Rancher
Rancher

Postby oscar p » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Well,I did'nt pay any attention, to the date. What do you know.
0 x

tripleBfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby tripleBfarms » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 pm

me neither..oops
0 x
• Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Return to “Horse Care”