Skinny 8 month old colt with a pot belly?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Skinny 8 month old colt with a pot belly?

Postby just learnin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 pm

We are new horse owners.
We just bought this colt and was told she was wormed four - six weeks ago with Ivermec and that she had her vaccines.
She was not in a pasture before. We have put her on pasture this weekend and she appears pot bellied. She is eating and drinking fine and we haven't noticed any worms.
Should we worm her again just incase or would that be harmful?
Should we continue to watch her or should we go ahead and have her checked out by a Vet?
Her coat seems a little dry and rough also.
She was in a corral with other colts and they were feeding them grain.
I was thinking about getting some feed and calf manna today to fed her twice a day and maybe go ahead and have her checked out by a Vet.

Thanks
0 x

born2run
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby born2run » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Sounds like a case of bad nutrition. What type of grain were they feeding her? And with a bunch of colts I wonder how much she was getting? I'd switch her gradually to something like Strategy.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to get a vet's opinion. Maybe someone else here can answer your questions about worming. I try to worm mine every 8 weeks with alternating pastes.
0 x
The world is like a mirror. Smile at it and it will smile back.

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:08 pm

I am thinking poor nutrition.
I am not sure of the grain they were feeding. It was a pellet feed. I will call and find out.

I will put her on feed twice a day and keep an eye on her the next couple of days.

I may end up having her checked out, just to make sure thats all it is.

Thanks
0 x

oscar p
Rancher
Rancher

Postby oscar p » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:15 pm

I would worm her again,my vet says a colt needs to be wormed every month until it is a year old. I would put your colt on 10% all grain twice a day and pasture, you'll be suprised in about a month. I like to take before and after pictures.
0 x

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks for the information.
Good idea, I will take pictures tomorrow.

I got her some grain today and I was thinking about worming her again.

I just wanted to make sure it was safe to worm again if she had been wormed four weeks ago.
0 x

ffscj
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ffscj » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:26 pm

just learnin wrote:I will put her on feed twice a day and keep an eye on her the next couple of days.

If your going to increase her feed, do so slowly over a period of time.

Chris
0 x

Pooog1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Skinny 8 month old colt with a pot belly?

Postby Pooog1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:40 pm

just learnin wrote:We are new horse owners.
We just bought this colt and was told she was wormed four - six weeks ago with Ivermec and that she had her vaccines.
She was not in a pasture before. We have put her on pasture this weekend and she appears pot bellied. She is eating and drinking fine and we haven't noticed any worms.
Should we worm her again just incase or would that be harmful?
Should we continue to watch her or should we go ahead and have her checked out by a Vet?
Her coat seems a little dry and rough also.
She was in a corral with other colts and they were feeding them grain.
I was thinking about getting some feed and calf manna today to fed her twice a day and maybe go ahead and have her checked out by a Vet.

Thanks

Have faith. I purchased a filly at about 9 months old that was part of around 80 horses taken away from someone due to improper care. She had a pot belly and basically nothing else. She looked awful. She now (3 months later and 1yr old) looks better as far as condition goes but she still has somewhat of a pot belly. It has gone down, but with horses it takes some time to have them pick up. She is getting sweetfeed twice a day and square alfalalfa hay. You cant see the back bones, hip bones, shoulder bones, or ribs anymore. It might make you feel better to have someone who knows the quality of horse hay/feed/amount to make sure your meeting her needs, then you can just give her some time to take over. The people you got her from may not have been feeding her properly. I had a very nice looking yearling Quarter horse filly that some people bought. I went to see her before she was shipped off to Pennsylvania (a few months after being sold) and they thought she was fat. She basically had a large hay gut and even a few ribs showing. I sure wish I would have let it go and remembered her in nice condition. Good luck and best of wishes with her.
0 x

Pooog1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Pooog1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm

A picture of the yearling filly that was shipped out to Pa in previous reply.

http://www.harveyquarterhorseranch.com/ ... teacup.jpg
0 x

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks so much for all of the help.

When I bought the grain at the feed store they told me to increase her feed slowly.

Should I start her out with small amounts and work up to what her intake should be?

She is on green pasture now.
0 x

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 am

Pooog1 nice looking horse.
0 x

Pooog1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Pooog1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:56 pm

just learnin wrote:Thanks so much for all of the help.

When I bought the grain at the feed store they told me to increase her feed slowly.

Should I start her out with small amounts and work up to what her intake should be?

She is on green pasture now.

Very safe advise...Green pasture is nice but a yearling is growing so much around here if left only on green pasture they come in with a few ribs showing on some of them. Of course theres always the easy doing ones that it doesnt seem to bother, but I think your doing the right thing. Will she be allowed to eat by herself so that you are aware of how much she is really getting?
0 x

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Yea she is eating alone.
0 x

Pooog1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Pooog1 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:54 pm

just learnin wrote:Pooog1 nice looking horse.

Thank you, I hated to sell her but needed to pay the bills more than I needed another mouth to feed. But even more than all of that I really hated to see how she was later taken care of. It sounds like you are on the right track and if you took a picture now of you yearling and one next year, you wouldn't believe the change. Good luck! ;-)
0 x

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:06 pm

Go very slowly...I know you feel sorry for her,but remember ,you'll hurt her if you rush....grass hay is the best,and make her walk.
0 x

just learnin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby just learnin » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:01 pm

peg4X4, Thanks.
We are going very slow on the grain.
She is on green grass.
I spoke to the Vet and rewormed her.
She is looking better.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”