Skinny 8 month old colt with a pot belly?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Miss Daisy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Miss Daisy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 pm

as far as i have been told, you cant overworm a horse
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:43 pm

Miss Daisy wrote:as far as i have been told, you cant overworm a horse

Are you talking about the number of times a horse is wormed or the amount given for an individual worming? If the first, it's a waste of money unless the worming is done with a mind to the way that the eggs hatch, larvae develop, and when it would be most effective. This is going to vary from horse to horse depending on their age, and circumstances. There is also the factor of the wormer being comprised of chemicals that may or may not have long term effects if not used properly. I can't imagine that something strong enough to kill worms being gentle on a horses stomach and intestines. So, I would presume to say that your statement is incorrect. If the second, your statement is absolutely false! Giving a horse that has a heavy worm load a full dose of wormer can cause that horse to become sick, colic or possibly even die due to the number of worms that are killed and attempt to pass through the horses system.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Miss Daisy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Miss Daisy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:56 pm

msscamp wrote:
Miss Daisy wrote:as far as i have been told, you cant overworm a horse

Are you talking about the number of times a horse is wormed or the amount given for an individual worming? If the first, it's a waste of money unless the worming is done with a mind to the way that the eggs hatch, larvae develop, and when it would be most effective. This is going to vary from horse to horse depending on their age, and circumstances. There is also the factor of the wormer being comprised of chemicals that may or may not have long term effects if not used properly. I can't imagine that something strong enough to kill worms being gentle on a horses stomach and intestines. So, I would presume to say that your statement is incorrect. If the second, your statement is absolutely false! Giving a horse that has a heavy worm load a full dose of wormer can cause that horse to become sick, colic or possibly even die due to the number of worms that are killed and attempt to pass through the horses system.

Thankyou for catching that one. I did not mean how often a horse is wormed, rather, the amount. If it is suspected the horse has worms, we give a partial dose, then reworm in about a month. For routine wormings, we give the whole tube, no matter the weight of the horse. Sorry for the misunderstanding, i need to work on communication sometimes!
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”