Lame mare.

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Scotty
GURU
GURU

Lame mare.

Postby Scotty » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Got this mare. Small typical King bred mare. Came up lame. Took her to the vet and could not localize any pain. Used a foot tester and rubbed all over her. Started off looking like it was the right rear leg. Now she appears to be hurting on the left front and left rear. Also looks like she is broke at all her hocks. I started her on (SP) glucosamine injections. Vet still can;t really tell any thing is wrong with her. She still limps but acts as though nothing is wrong. My other theory is her room mate but I never see them playing or running in the pasture. no dogs around. Coyotes could be.
0 x
TSCRA Member
AAA Member

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Postby Hippie Rancher » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:33 pm

This is going to sound wierd and I am not sure I believed it even though I was right there, but I had a retired T-bred racing mare, that would not let the farrier do her right rear - acted like it hurt and she would limp after he held it up for just a few seconds - he said it was her back and did some strange chiropractic-type moves on her that I could not repeat, but eneded with pulling her tail and "cracking" her back...and immediatly after that she was fine!
0 x

D.R. Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Lame mare.

Postby D.R. Cattle » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Scotty wrote:Got this mare. Small typical King bred mare. Came up lame. Took her to the vet and could not localize any pain. Used a foot tester and rubbed all over her. Started off looking like it was the right rear leg. Now she appears to be hurting on the left front and left rear. Also looks like she is broke at all her hocks. I started her on (SP) glucosamine injections. Vet still can;t really tell any thing is wrong with her. She still limps but acts as though nothing is wrong. My other theory is her room mate but I never see them playing or running in the pasture. no dogs around. Coyotes could be.

I'm having the same sort of problem. It was suggested that EPM was the culprit, but after weeks of leaving her alone, she along with others in the barn are hacking and coughing up goo. The Doc is coming tomorrow to bleed them and see what's up.
0 x
-Annoy a liberal; work, succeed and be happy.
-Eat more beef.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Hippie Rancher wrote:This is going to sound wierd and I am not sure I believed it even though I was right there, but I had a retired T-bred racing mare, that would not let the farrier do her right rear - acted like it hurt and she would limp after he held it up for just a few seconds - he said it was her back and did some strange chiropractic-type moves on her that I could not repeat, but eneded with pulling her tail and "cracking" her back...and immediatly after that she was fine!

Doesn't sound a bit weird to me - actually there is a vet clinic in the area that does chiropractic type adjustments on horses - no idea what the actual cost is, but I'm told it's reasonable. What our farrier does to determine whether the horses spine may be out is run his finger (or a coin) down either/both sides of the horses spine using firm, but gentle pressure. If the horse bows his/her back away from the pressure or steps away, that indicates that the vet should be consulted. There are several ranch hands I know that are believers now, because these adjustments fixed lameness, bucking, and other problems in their horses and eliminated the need to buy another horse to replace the one with problems.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Postby Hippie Rancher » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 pm

I knew about the spine test - and have used it when buying, but have never seen the chiro moves. If I hadn't been standing there when he did it I would have SWORN he drugged her - the difference was so dramatic.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:22 pm

Hippie Rancher wrote:I knew about the spine test - and have used it when buying, but have never seen the chiro moves. If I hadn't been standing there when he did it I would have SWORN he drugged her - the difference was so dramatic.

I haven't seen the actual adjustments - the one horse we took in for that proved to have different problems, of a far more serious nature, and had to be put down - but I've talked to a few people who have and they were also amazed!
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Scotty
GURU
GURU

Postby Scotty » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:15 pm

One week alone and no better. Going to give the injections some more time. Still know signs of pain. Just a limp.
0 x
TSCRA Member

AAA Member

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Postby Hippie Rancher » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:18 pm

um, a limp IS a sign of pain.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:42 pm

Scotty wrote:One week alone and no better. Going to give the injections some more time. Still know signs of pain. Just a limp.

Scotty, limping is an indication of pain. :?
0 x

3wishes
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 3wishes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:04 am

After x rays and nerve blocks to locate the leg that caused my mare to be lame, the vet couldn't find the exact problem and guessed it was tendonitis from being trimmed incorrectly by the farrier who took it upon himself to correct something :roll: 6 months of no riding and some bute at the beginning- plus the vet bill and a change of farrier- was all my mare needed to recover completely. So it isn't necessarily a sign of something horribly wrong. You just got to rule out all the worst case scenarios.
0 x

IHeartCows
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby IHeartCows » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:32 am

To the OP: Have you thought about having the horse checked for stifle issues?
0 x

Scotty
GURU
GURU

Postby Scotty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

msscamp wrote:
Scotty wrote:One week alone and no better. Going to give the injections some more time. Still know signs of pain. Just a limp.

So if I am limping and have no pain whats up?
0 x
TSCRA Member

AAA Member

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Postby Hippie Rancher » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:17 pm

short leg? broken heel on your shoe?
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Scotty wrote:
msscamp wrote:

So if I am limping and have no pain whats up?

I can't answer that question. All I know is a limping horse is more than likely experiencing pain somewhere - may not be in the feet or legs - but something is hurting and preventing full use of the foot and/or leg.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”