Really sore front feet, help

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
SilverCharm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SilverCharm » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:35 am

oscar p wrote:Another thing about a ultrasound it tells if she has twins, if so the vet can eliminate one of them.

Why would one of the twins be eliminated? Does having twins increase the chance of losing both foals or the mare?
0 x

IHeartCows
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby IHeartCows » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 am

Horses can't handle twins very well. It is dangerous to the mare and both of the foals if she's allowed to carry them. Most of the time they'll be born early and may even stillborn. Because the mare isn't meant to carry both of these babies manytimes they'll abort on their own. But it still very important to get the mare ultrasounded between 15-20 days or so to check.
0 x

holly heifer
Rancher
Rancher

bill

Postby holly heifer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:07 am

I had a $5500 colic surgery bill on a 5 year old horse
3 years ago. He is doing fine. Unfortunately, some need
extensive help and others live to a ripe old age with next to
no expenses! :o
0 x

MillIronQH
GURU
GURU

Postby MillIronQH » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 pm

born2run wrote:Do I read right she was confirmed at 3 weeks? Alan or someone else help me here, is this common to have a mare preg checked that early? Doesn't that in itself entail the risk of aborting the mare?

I'm a broodmare dummy. :D

You can do a sonogram at 17 days and a lot of the big gun race horse and warmblood breeders do. The thing is she could have absorbed the colt a month later and noone would be the wiser unless she was checked again.

I wouldn't discount laminitis (founder) but I'd be hunting a equine leg vet that knows what he or she is doing or I'd be on my way to A&M.

As far as giving a horse human asprin... If you have that type of money to waste I need some help with the feed bill.

Get a bottle of Bute tablets from your vet. They come in 1gram tablets. The simplist way I've found to give them is to crush them up and mix them with peanut butter. Cut the end off of a 60cc siringe stuff the mix in from the plunger end and give it like you would a paste wormer. 1gr 2x for four or five days and then PRN after that.Z
0 x
I would rather be tried by twelve then carried by six.

clampitt
Cowhand
Cowhand

soar footed

Postby clampitt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:35 am

Aspirin doesn't hurt anything we give it to a 21yr old barrel horse when we run out of hyluronex,I take em. the baby aspirin are not strong eneough.If she isn't foundered which the vet says she isn't?? I have seen that deal when they missed it pretty bad also and the horse was reallll foundered.Bute will over time kill red blood cells and is realy hard on kidneys and livers,Banimine is pretty good for short while but extended use of any of these will cause liver and kidney troubles.The horse I said the vet missed it he sure did and nearly sluffed a foot that can and will happen they do rotate but some times the heat will cause the sensative lamini in the hoof capsule to turn loose.Aspirin is a fever reducer and a blood thinner that is not a bad thing in a founder the blood will clot up in the foot and shut down the flow.I used Banimine and Recover, it is an antihistimine,don't get it in the blood,in the muscle like pen. on this horse he belonged to a friend a of mine and is still alive that was 15yrs ago.he is around 30 now.If she isn't pointing and with hoof testers she is soar.Stand her up if you trim her take off more toe than heel,long toe and short heel are what cause nav.as well as concussion of the nav.bursi.Speed up the break over.She could have a false soal clean the foot out and use a hoof knife to pair out the dead soal and get to live.I use a mix of Lugals solution(strong iodine) and formyldayde even mix pour it in the foot for a few days and it will kill all the thrush,white line disease and drive the quick up, and their feet will get hard.I have a horse here now that the woman who bought him is pretty knowledgeable and he was not going in the pen a barrel horse ride him and get him broke.She rold me first his feet are horrable who ever shod him don't need to be shoeing horses and fix him.He was soal bound that is a shoe too small and setting on the soal and nailed down with big no.5 or so city head nail, blood supply is cut off When a horses front feet start to point the blood is cut of and there is little or no blood flow throught the foot,(Venus Plexus and Terminal arch) .A healthy front foot is round not narrow.He was soal bound had and absess was too long toed,and contracted heels.I took us 3 half hrs to re set him.He hurt so bad.Never gave a min. trouble we just had to work a while and rest a while and let his foot spread and the blood flow get going again.He would stand there and sigh take a breath and start to relax.Yesterday was the first time I saw him run and play in the pen.This is long and drawn out but if founder is ruled out her feet are soar from being shod like I mentioned or just a litle brused up from no shoes.Pour the mix in her feet after you clean them out use use a hoof knife to clean out the dead soal and a wire brush to clean the foot good.A little Banamine for a few days wont hurt just to make her comfortable.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”