Need a little guidance, please

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Need a little guidance, please

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 am

Just got this horse...wonderful old dead broke, dog gentle grandkid horse. He's around 25. The woman I bought him from said this "lump" had been found to be non-malignent by a vet. My grandson has ridden him a good bit and the horse doesn't seem to be bothered by it. He eats well and grazes and gets along just fine. However, I'm still half tempted to have him seen by an equine vet...but I don't really want to get into a situation of spending a fortune on something that could be nothing or something better left alone considering the horse's age.

I guess what I am wanting is a few opinions so I can be prepared to offer them in case the vet starts rattling off what needs to be done to the tune of a gazillion dollars.

Thanks, Alice

0 x
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Re: Need a little guidance, please

Postby randiliana » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:35 pm

I would probably get my own vet to look at it, unless I had complete confidence in the person that I bought the horse from. Worst case scenario is that it is cancer, your options would then be to either treat it or accept the fact that at some point in the future this horse is either going to die suddenly or you are going to have to put him down. As long as he seems to not be bothered by it and he is eating/drinking well you shouldn't have a problem.

Chances are that the first vet knew his stuff and it isn't a major problem, but as I said I would have it checked out just for my own peace of mind. Then you will know what you may have to deal with in the future. Plus it would likely be cheaper to treat a problem now than at a future date if it becomes a major problem.
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Postby Gale Seddon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Alice, I agree with Randiliana...I'd want to know what I was dealing with from someone I trust. Hope it's nothing serious. Wonderful that you found a grandkid horse. I know you'll take as good care of him as he will of your grandkids. How many 25 yr. old horses win the lottery? This horse that got lucky for sure!

Would like to see the front end when you have a chance?
0 x

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 pm

Gale Seddon wrote:Alice, I agree with Randiliana...I'd want to know what I was dealing with from someone I trust. Hope it's nothing serious. Wonderful that you found a grandkid horse. I know you'll take as good care of him as he will of your grandkids. How many 25 yr. old horses win the lottery? This horse that got lucky for sure!

Would like to see the front end when you have a chance?

Randi, Gale, you're right. I've gotta know.

I caught him up this evening and looked at it. It felt really heavy...yet, it didn't bother him a bit for me to mess with it. The old guy is helping restore confidence in my grandson who escaped serious injury at a playday on a horse that had I had a gun, I'd have shot right then and there...and I hope my instructions were followed when I told the woman that boarded the horse to sell him to the killers only. :mad:

Anyway, old Shorty is a marvel...and I hope to keep him going for a good while. I'll get a pic of his front end ASAP, Gale. I think he's still a bit thin (the horse came from a horse rescue outfit), but he's eating like a, pardon the pun, horse, so hopefully he'll flesh out a bit more. It's my understanding that when he came into the rescue outfit he was emaciated, so he's obviously able to gain weight and that growth or whatever isn't keeping him from it.

Ok, I'll have him seen by a vet...get my own analysis on it.

Thanks guys, Alice
0 x

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Postby Gale Seddon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 pm

From what I can see, Alice, he looks pretty fleshed out to me, but I know older horses sometimes need extra care and special senior feed (heck, so do I, LOL). Adopting from a rescue outfit, especially an older animal, is a great thing to do. He couldn't ask for a better home.
0 x

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 pm

What a lucky horse to have found you, and a lucky grandson too ;-) . Let us know what you find out.
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Gale Seddon wrote:From what I can see, Alice, he looks pretty fleshed out to me, but I know older horses sometimes need extra care and special senior feed (heck, so do I, LOL). Adopting from a rescue outfit, especially an older animal, is a great thing to do. He couldn't ask for a better home.

Oh, Gale honey, he does love his equine senior! All of my animals are a touch overweight...I'd better stay with the program he's on...ouch!

Alice
0 x

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 pm

randiliana wrote:What a lucky horse to have found you, and a lucky grandson too ;-) . Let us know what you find out.

Thanks, Randi. My grandson is my special boy. I have 6 grandkids...and I love them all equally, yet they have something special about each of them that makes them the best on earth to me. The grandson I'm talking about is my first grandchild...and I had him 9 years before the others began coming into my life. Oh crud, I'm getting mushy.

I'll let ya' know as soon as I do what the vet says!

Alice
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”