Small Square Bales

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Family Tradition
Cowhand
Cowhand

Small Square Bales

Postby Family Tradition » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:38 pm

I've found a square baler that puts up small squares not just cutting the length but the whole bale is smaller LxWxH. I was thinking maybe using it to put up bales of horse hay for traveling. Make them about the size for a feeding per horse. Easier to handle, stack and less loss. What do ya'll think?
0 x
Just keep farming til the moneys all gone

kjones
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kjones » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 pm

What are the measurements of the bales?
0 x

Family Tradition
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Family Tradition » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:09 pm

13H x 17W in 12-39 in long
0 x

MillIronQH
GURU
GURU

Postby MillIronQH » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:58 pm

I can think of a lot of show horse people that would like to talk to you.Z
0 x
I would rather be tried by twelve then carried by six.

hayray
GURU
GURU

Re: Small Square Bales

Postby hayray » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 pm

Family Tradition wrote:I've found a square baler that puts up small squares not just cutting the length but the whole bale is smaller LxWxH. I was thinking maybe using it to put up bales of horse hay for traveling. Make them about the size for a feeding per horse. Easier to handle, stack and less loss. What do ya'll think?

Standard small square baler sized chamber is 14" x 18", your measurements sound pretty close to that. John Deere at one time made a baler that made another smaller chambered design for a real short time several years ago.
0 x

Mike Franklin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mike Franklin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:17 pm

What do they weigh? I'd imagine there's a very, very small market.
0 x
My opinions are based on my prior mistakes.

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:59 pm

Mike Franklin wrote:What do they weigh? I'd imagine there's a very, very small market.

No. A very large market!

When we speak of small square bales (as opposed to those LARGE square bales ~1500 to 2000# often used by daries), we are talking about the "standard" small square bales.

A small square of grass hay usually weighs in the 50-70# range. A small square of alfalfa hay usually weighs in the 65-80# range. SOME farm & ranch stores that sell to hobby people who haul few bales in their SUV for one or a few horses will have some "small" small square bales (not tightly packed) that are in the 40-50# range. SOME suppliers will handle small square bales of alfalfa that are a little longer than usual that are tightly packed in the 100 to 125# range.

The small squares are in high demand by horse people, (those with no tractor/front end spear, or flatbed 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a rear-mounted spear, or a "hay buggy") or with other stock people that must handle bales by hand. Small squares are also in demand for folks that have one or more cattle in a pen (or quarantined pen) that they don't have enough room to drive a tractor or truck thru. With the small squares you generally only put out as much as the animal will clean up that feeding or that day...negligible waste.
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

Mike Franklin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mike Franklin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:08 pm

You're talking about a regular square bale, around here they go for $8 up to $9.75. When I had access to a barn I'd buy'm in the field then I'd get'm for about $2 each. We're in a drought now so prices are up. You see very few of the large square bales here.
Last edited by Mike Franklin on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My opinions are based on my prior mistakes.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:18 am

Mike Franklin wrote:What do they weigh? I'd imagine there's a very, very small market.

As with most things, the demand depends on the area. We sell a whole lot of small squares of grass and alfalfa (they average between 55-65, maybe 70 lbs) every year to people in Wyoming, Colorado, and Nebraska. A lot of our clientele are horse people, but some are not.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

MillIronQH
GURU
GURU

Postby MillIronQH » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:30 am

I can't quote the exact measurements of a standand small square bale. I know that three of them will lay flat lengthways behind the cab of my truck or four will go in on edge. That would make them about 18x24. It sounds like FT is talking about bales that are smaller then that. He said 13x18.Z
0 x
I would rather be tried by twelve then carried by six.

Family Tradition
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Family Tradition » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Yes that's about the right size MI or even smaller 8"x11"xmax2'. Was thinking single feeding for penned cow or horse with out having to cut and retie strings on regular square bale. Less waste easier to handle. Thinking on the road for horse haulers and show people.
Thanks for the replies keep em coming.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”