Thrush treatment

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Triple L
Cowhand
Cowhand

Thrush treatment

Postby Triple L » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:52 pm

We have a mare that has a thrush problem with her right front hoof. We bought some thrush med's and I was just wondering how long the treatment should go on ? This is our first time having a thrush problem.

Thanks in advance
Sam
0 x
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them!

Kelly
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Kelly » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Some Thrush is very stubborn so you want to make sure you get it all. I have used the Mastitis "Tomorrow or Today" every other day and the opposite days I used a fungicide. Sometimes it will take a month if it is really stubborn. I have heard that Clean Trax or White lightning ( not exactly sure of that name) is the best to get it all. Most importantly keep them clean and have the right hoof trim mechanics.
I like to soak in borax water before I use the treatment to have it as clean as I can so it gets in all the crevices.
0 x

holly heifer
Rancher
Rancher

thrush

Postby holly heifer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:33 am

:mad: We are having such mud issues that thrush is a problem.
I have had good luck with Koppertox and plain ole iodine.
Keeping them in some of the time in dry clean stalls helps, too.
I got my boots sucked off this am------ it is a quagmire! :x
0 x

Triple L
Cowhand
Cowhand

thanks for the reply

Postby Triple L » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:58 pm

I am keeping her in a stall for now with freash bedding. I'll plan on treating her for 10-14 days. I also heard that iodine and sugar paste will work. I hoping that will do the job, that thrush buster is pretty pricey.

Thanks again
Sam :lol:
0 x
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them!

smart_slider
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby smart_slider » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:07 pm

i think that MillIron said something about thrush treatment on the RAINROT heading...
ss
0 x
never argue with a woman

MillIronQH
GURU
GURU

Postby MillIronQH » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:29 pm

Kopertox. If you don't have one get a hoof knife to keep the bad sole scraped (not cut) out and be generous with the stuff. One of the problems with Iodine is that it retards healing by killing healthy cells so past the initial few treatments you doing more harm then go using it.

If you have an ez-boot that will fit you can prolong the time between treatments by applying the Kopertox to the sole and to four or five gauze pads in the boot. The big thing is keeping the hoof clean and dry and the Ez-boot will help do that.Z
0 x
I would rather be tried by twelve then carried by six.

Hillary_Indiana
Cowhand
Cowhand

thrush trtmt

Postby Hillary_Indiana » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:29 pm

My SSH has the same problem. Our vet (very respected) reccommended that we get a ketchup squirter bottle and fill it with 1/10 bleach-water. He said pick her hooves out everyday and spray some of that in there. He didn't seem to think the other more expensive chemicals were worth using.
0 x
Hillary

Return to “Horse Care”