horse bordom

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

horse bordom

Postby cattleluvr18 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 pm

i kno horses are herd animals and they like company. well i dont have any othere horses to put my horse with nor do i plan on gettin another one so would my horse be ok by itself or not? ive seen product like "toys" and stuff for horses to reduce boredom but do they really need them? ive already posted a topic on whether or not u can put a horse with cows or not and it seems to be ok. so would it help a horse to be in a lot with heifers or would it just be ok in its own lot?
0 x
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 am

Well it's Sunday morning and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee and hogging all your post, remember opinions are like feet... we all have them, but somtimes they stink. :D

Lots of horses do well on their own, they may get excited for a day or two, but I'm assuming your horses is on it's own now.

Horses do love toys, but you can make you own pretty easy. I have horse that loves an empty milk jug with a few rocks in it to make it rattle. I may or may not hang it up in a stall just above head high. Traffic cones are good, a heavy duty ball.

If you do decide to put your out with the heifers watch the horse for a while. Not all horses do well with cattle.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 pm

we have a horse that when we put him in with cows all he does is runs and sorts a differnt cow off each time. he doe sbetter nsaddels then saddels you can point to a cow and he will go and sort it iff
0 x

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Alan, you are right - most horses will adjust to being alone. I try not to do that if I can ever avoid it and we've got so darn many on the place that being alone is never an issue for them! :P

And you gave some good advice - watch the horse with the cows. While most horses do well with cattle, some horses will run the cows just for something to do. It makes for serious weight loss in the cattle, which is never a good thing.
0 x
Don't call her a cowgirl 'til you see her ride.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: horse bordom

Postby msscamp » Mon May 28, 2007 8:59 pm

cattleluvr18 wrote:i kno horses are herd animals and they like company. well i dont have any othere horses to put my horse with nor do i plan on gettin another one so would my horse be ok by itself or not? ive seen product like "toys" and stuff for horses to reduce boredom but do they really need them? ive already posted a topic on whether or not u can put a horse with cows or not and it seems to be ok. so would it help a horse to be in a lot with heifers or would it just be ok in its own lot?

Your horse will probably be fine on his own. As far as boredom goes, the easiest way to eliminate that problem is to exercise him regularly and not feed high energy feed. I personally would never put a horse out with cows - to much potential for them running the cows, sorting one out of the herd, and causing general mischief.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

circlet
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby circlet » Tue May 29, 2007 9:19 am

i have some friends who only have one horse and they got a goat as company. they get along great, except the horse ends up thinking he's a goat and the goat thinks he's a horse!

in all seriousness, if you're worried about your horse but don't want to get another one, think of getting a companion like a goat or mini-pony or something. i wouldn't put the horse in with the cows.
0 x
www.liverystable.net - horses for sale

Matthew 28:20

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:22 am

i am pretty sure she want another horse, but her dad and the runt wont let her so she will wait and buy one when she sells her calves.
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 am

hes exactly right. my dad says we got enough animals, so a goat is totally out of the question and im gonna have ta wait til at least this fall to get another horse. maybe i should get some pigs and put with her huh karlton?? :P :lol:

and p.s. karlton, runt has no say in this. ;-) she doesnt know every much about farm animals. im gonna get a pic of her on this horse. "star's" legs are prolly twice as tall as she is! :lol2:
0 x
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:31 am

we used to have 2 sets of minitures horses that we use to use with a buggy and my pet pig always would go in with them and run with them.
Didn't figure the runt knew much about farm animals
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 am

:lol2: i can just see you on a buggy with minitures.
0 x
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:35 pm

yea only one problem with me on the buggy. i weigh 160. my nephew used to ride it in shows, and parades, and then our local rodeo. i want to see you riding an be nice, kelly.
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 pm

whatever karlton i would look gggoood! :D ..... but do you know who needs a little donkey...RUNT!! :lol2: i cant wait to see her on my horse. its gonna be ssoo funny!
0 x
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Cindy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cindy » Thu May 31, 2007 12:22 am

I have an only horse right now, and she is kept with a heifer.They get along great and groom each other.I watched her actually sit on the heifers head,she has small horns.If the horse gets to rough with her she has an escape.I put in a safety area for her to go to, so she could get away from pressure, from the horse.But most times the heifer is laying asleep and the horse is laying with her or standing over her,guarding her.
0 x

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:43 pm

i will sell you a baby be nice for 10$ but i think the runt might need a clydesdale
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:56 pm

yeah right i dont need one of those around makin noise! haha. but my dad did ask me if i'd rather have a mule. i said heck no but it would still be kinda fun to have around.
0 x
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Return to “Horse Care”