Urinary Tract Stones

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Urinary Tract Stones

Postby Just_a_girl » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Went to feed my horse, and noticed a dripping from his sheath area. Got him haltered and tied so that I could exam him.
No bean, but after waiting for him to relax a little, felt something solid about 6 inches up. It was a stone the size of a nickel. Spent most of the day at the vet's, watching as the vet broke up the stone. The stone was not at all smooth or round and looks like chips of yellow concrete. Finally, a catheter was inserted to give him much needed relief.
Vet didn't like the results of his blood test, so he is spending the night there. Will go get him tomorrow night, and also get the vet's strict orders to keep him healthy and happy. He's 23, but is always aged for a 12 year old.

I watch my horses like a hawk, and put my hands on them at least twice a day. I didn't a see this though. I was kicking myself for not seeing any signs sooner, my vet commended me for seeing it when I did. Vet said, that most horse never make it to the vet because owner's don't see it at all. Vet also said that sones are not common in horses, but that stones are easier on mares than geldings and stallions.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their horse, what was the outcome, and what I should be on the watch for?

Thank you...
0 x

VtMapleGal
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VtMapleGal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 am

Usual signs are frequent urination and straining, but my gelding is private and doesnt usually go when im around. I would assume they will send the stone out to a lab to find out the components and recommend certain treatments / preventitives from there.
0 x

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Just_a_girl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:49 am

VtMapleGal wrote:Usual signs are frequent urination and straining, but my gelding is private and doesnt usually go when im around. I would assume they will send the stone out to a lab to find out the components and recommend certain treatments / preventitives from there.

This horse is exactly the same way, does not like anyone around when he's doing his business. Thanks for info...
0 x

doublec_ranch
Beginner
Beginner

Urinary Problems

Postby doublec_ranch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:00 am

I once had a roping horse that looked like he "strained" when doing his business. So one day when I was washing him, I just reached up in there and started feeling around. I pulled out dead skin, dirt, etc. out of his sheath. Then I felt a "rock" and I pulled on it. What came out was a large ball of wax like material. He instantly relaxed. Was your waxy or like limestone rock hard?
0 x
Matt

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Just_a_girl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:37 am

The stone was rock hard.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Had computer problems, got that fixed, somewhat. and now have ISP problems due to storms here.
0 x
Never argue with a pig, it only annoys the pig and gets you dirty.

Penridergirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Penridergirl » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:25 am

When I was a kid I had a nine year old mare that had six or seven kidney stones that were exactly as described in this thread. Semi-round, cement looking with sharp edges. The only reason that we discovered it was because the mare was urinating with blood. The vet had to surgically remove the stones. I kept them and won a state 4-H demonstration with them! These stones are extremely hard on any sex, age of horse.
0 x

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Just_a_girl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Penridergirl wrote:When I was a kid I had a nine year old mare that had six or seven kidney stones that were exactly as described in this thread. Semi-round, cement looking with sharp edges. The only reason that we discovered it was because the mare was urinating with blood. The vet had to surgically remove the stones. I kept them and won a state 4-H demonstration with them! These stones are extremely hard on any sex, age of horse.

How did your horse do after the stone? I have to watch his diet, but he's doing really well.

Only thing is... now I'm always watching to see that he does his business. Hard to do when he doesn't like anyone watching. :lol:
0 x

Penridergirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Penridergirl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:38 pm

My mare did really well after a six month lay off from the surgery to remove the stones. She went on to carry me to a lot of all around awards in 4-H and Jr. Rodeos. She even packed a colt with out a problem!
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”