Problem feet maybe??

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am

Well, like the ding dong I am, I posted on the wrong thread. :oops:

Sorry about that...

Alice
0 x
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

cathys
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cathys » Tue May 08, 2007 5:36 am

chippie,
been there and done that one, the mare I sold at the last auction I had bought at an auction, in the ring she was as calm as could be, great riding big big beautiful horse. Got home and out of trailer a few hours later and couldn't get her to move. Took her out a few weeks ago and she stood up on her back legs like she was a human, Had a family friend come over to ride her (they break horses for people) and she rode her and said she didn't want anything to do with her, when I sold her I stated she was green broke and NOT for child or inexperienced rider.
So far my new one is doing great, she is loosing her winter coat with daily brushing and lone behold under the white hair she is a beautiful almost gold shiney with white paint markings and a tri colored main and tail.
Cathy
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue May 08, 2007 6:36 am

What did you find out about her feet?
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:04 am

I'd be interested in hearing what you found out about the mare's feet, too. Our thoroughbred mare that picks her feet up when she eats, and only when she eats, has two babies (a two year old and a yearling) that do the very same thing when they eat. We assume it to be a habit they learned from mama while suckling because none of the other horses on the farm do it.
0 x

cathys
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cathys » Tue May 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Ferrior will be here tonight, I am going to ask him about it. She is still doing it but only when she eats her grain, shows no sign of lameness, or anything else. Will see what he has to say tonight and get back to you.
Cathy
0 x

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Cathy, my farrier (who is honestly the best I've had in 40+ years of owning horses) says it's a habit - he finds no sign of any unsoundness or any discomfort. Hopefully, you'll get the same news for your horse.

This same Thoroughbred mare will stand at the stall door and paw a hole to China until you dump her feed. Again, the 2 year old and the yearling by this mare do the same thing. Can't wait to see how long it takes before the 3 week old filly picks it up, too! :D
0 x

cathys
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cathys » Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 am

Well the farrier was here, when I told him about it he said it was just habbit.
Then he went to working on her feet and found that someone had done a "quick hack job" just before selling her, very uneven and dips and gullys so to speak all around the outside edges of the hoofs. He was not able to trim anything off just file, I stood there and watched him, he ran the
file across one time and there were the pink lines (don't know correct termanoligy)
He asked how she rode my son said she wants to go to the side of the rode or into the ditch all the time. Farrier recommended shoes but can't put them on untill her hoofs grow out even enough to make them flat on the bottom, he said keep her on the soft ground, don't ride her on the gravel untill she gets shoes on, that she has sore feet.

Soooo...now we wait another 2/3 weeks for shoes, he figures he will be able to do something with her by then.

She stood still like a statue for the man, (unlike my other mare)
Cathy
0 x

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:32 am

Sounds like a "homemade" trim job - people should stick with what they know. Please keep us posted on this. I'll be interested to see if she continues picking her feet up while she eats after she's had enough time to recover from being sore. With my mare, it's either habit or she's been sore-footed for 18 years! :P
0 x

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:54 am

Horses move while they graze. Eating out of a trough,they still have the instinct to move. Count your blessings,some paw so much they dig holes,or wear their hoofs down..
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

cathys
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cathys » Sat May 19, 2007 11:58 am

Well the vet came out and gave vaccines to the horses, He said she looks great and that there is nothing to worry about.
She needs some groceries which I am giving her, but it is going to take time. Gonna have the ferrior out the end of next week to shoe her. If I ever figure out how to use my digital camera to put pictures on her I will post them of my 4 girls.
Cathy
0 x

Hipy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hipy » Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Is she only doing this when she is eating?
0 x

cathys
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cathys » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Well here is the latest on our mare...

Ferrior was here today to shoe her and by golly he says her feet are in excellant condition! He doesn't think she needs shoes now that they have grown out some, she is not flat footed any longer the heel of the hoof has grown and the veins are no longer visible. She is walking just great matter of fact she wants to trot and run all the time..I am so happy we found her, she has made a different kid out of my son.

As for her lifting her feet, she only does it while she is eating grain. It doesn't matter if she is in the corral or out tied to the hitching post, she only lifts the front feet one at a time, closes her eyes part way and tilts her head a bit. I think it is only a sign of happiness.
0 x

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:02 am

Excellent!
0 x
Don't call her a cowgirl 'til you see her ride.

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Glad to hear all is working out well :)
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

Return to “Horse Care”